Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel experience?

Hi all,

The purpose of this post is to solicit comments from folks that either used to drive a 7.3 Powerstroke for RVing or perhaps still drive a 7.3.

I purchased a 2001 F-350, crewcab, diesel, long bed, 4x4, dually last fall. I like to wrench as a hobby and have really enjoyed servicing and driving this rig.

A few thoughts below and please chime in with your thoughts/experience and any advice you have.

- When I began RVing a few years ago I learned a lot about loading, payload etc. etc. My tow vehicle does a nice job but (as I mentioned in another post) I was always wondering what it would be like to have tons of extra payload, use the diesel lanes, have real tow mirrors etc. So instead of buying a used sports car or SUV to play with, I bought the F350.
    - As most folks know who have dealt with the 7.3, it has a very good reputation and mine has been solid so far. I am busy completing all the routine maintenance so that I know what I have and perhaps will take it on some RV trips.
    - Since most folks on this site seem to be avid RV'ers, most folks aren't driving these older trucks anymore. So when I search I don't find many current thoughts/comments etc. (hance this post). Yes there are tons of content on repair, performance upgrades etc. etc. but not a lot of current discussions on pulling 5'ers etc. I guess if most folks trade in their trucks after 3-5 years, the majority of users that were active pre-dates this site...
    - Long term I don't really plan to use it on a lot of long trips and it will probably end up pulling a wagon up in Kansas I'll bet - but in the meantime, It is fun to drive around and mess with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231018_124532.jpg  
    Kansas City and Lake of the Ozarks
    2021 22MLE, Husky Centerline TS
    2021 Ford F150 Platinum Crew Cab, Max Tow, 3.5L Ecoboost, 2k Pro Power
    2001 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab 4X4 Dually, 7.3 Power Stroke

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled with a 2001 Dodge Cummins dually up until a year ago. We upgraded to a 2017 Ram Cummins dually. The old trucks do the job, but, IMO anyway, the new trucks do the job better and easier.

OTOH, if you're pulling that trailer in the photo with your older Ford, you should be fine. Our older Dodge was starting to struggle with our 17,000 lb. toy hauler, hence the move to newer truck.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Boy does this take me back. I had a 1995 F250 7.3 Manual 4x4. Here is a good article https://www.xtremediesel.com/blog/20...-buyers-guide/

As is was only 225hp and 440ft/lbs torque it struggled in the mountains with my 28'5th wheel (12K).

I also always carried spare cam position sensors and a 17mm socket with swivel adapter iF I remember correctly. I sourced the sensor from IH as thier T44E uses many of the same parts and sold then much cheaper. When the sensor goes bad the truck stops running immediately. Its an easy change out though as its located up front in an easy spot to get to.

The only other towing issue is it could get high EGR temps on steep upgrades, and as the down pipe ran very close to the passenger side foot well the floor got HOT. DW did not like that. I added extra insulation inside under the floor mat.

I also added MBRP dual exhaust system that seemed to help with power and cool down the EGR temps

Hope this helps
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-28-2024 at 09:03 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a great truck without all the emission crap. I bought my F350 Super Duty new in 99 and it has 120K on it now. I added a new exhaust and a tuner. Then added propane injection for a little fun. Last time on the dino it ran 450 hp and 1400 lb-ft. Not enough for our new trailer so had to buy another truck. I should get twenty more years out of my 7.3 power stroke. Enjoy your truck.
    Last edited by Crazybanshee; 03-27-2024 at 08:08 PM.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI