User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking Front Compartment Seals

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but my front storage compartments seem to have water in them every time it rains. I spoke with the Grand Design Regional Manager this morning and he asked me how were the seals installed. Were the seams on the top or the bottom? Mine were on the bottom. He said that was the cause of my leaking issue. He told me to carefully pull them off and reinstall them with the seams at the top. Thought I would forward this along in case someone else is having the same issue. I'm attaching a picture of mine so you can see the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151002_105454[1].jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151002_105422[1].jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3235
    Jim and Ellie
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2015 GMC 3500 Denali Diesel CC Dually
    2014 Harley Trike
    Haverhill, MA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that will cure it. I would do a water spray test to verify that that works.
    Jeff & Lee

Bodie, and Orion, Yellow, and Chocolate Labs
    Nyx, Dachshund
    2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SRW 4WD
    2016 Momentum 348M #1966

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into this after a rain storm last week. A lot of water on the street side. I caulked the outside as it wasn't perfectly sealed thinking that might have been the issue, but had more last night after another storm. I saw this and thought that might have been the issue, but I can feel water on the wall board above the door - meaning that it looks like it's coming from somewhere above.

I did re-caulk the top of the baggage door just in case it was coming through there, but I don't think that's it now. There was water on top of the level-up controls, and it seems to fall in line with the outer edge of the bedroom slide out trim.

Did you notice this in your situation?

Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    I ran into this after a rain storm last week. A lot of water on the street side. I caulked the outside as it wasn't perfectly sealed thinking that might have been the issue, but had more last night after another storm. I saw this and thought that might have been the issue, but I can feel water on the wall board above the door - meaning that it looks like it's coming from somewhere above.

I did re-caulk the top of the baggage door just in case it was coming through there, but I don't think that's it now. There was water on top of the level-up controls, and it seems to fall in line with the outer edge of the bedroom slide out trim.

Did you notice this in your situation?

That seems like a probable cause. Was the slide out when it rained? Or was it in......
    Jeff & Lee

Bodie, and Orion, Yellow, and Chocolate Labs
    Nyx, Dachshund
    2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SRW 4WD
    2016 Momentum 348M #1966

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was out. I checked inside the bedroom and slide during the storm and everything is dry as a bone. No leaks at all anywhere in the living area.

I did notice that a couple of the screws that are visible on the metal flashing on the right edge were not caulked, so I caulked them. One of them is slightly out (I could not get it to drive in any more), so I could see a possibility of water entering there and traveling down the inside of the wall. The caulking should take care of that. I'm going to see what happens in the next storm, but this is frustrating.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Splitsworld
    i had the same issue and it was water pouring off the bedroom slide straight down to the top seam of the storage door. I havent checked my seal yet so i'll have to take a look, but i noticed the door wasnt very tight against the seal so i took off the latches and bent them a tad to make the door seal harder against the rubber. Seems to have worked but ill double check the seals. Split

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gee View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up before, but my front storage compartments seem to have water in them every time it rains. I spoke with the Grand Design Regional Manager this morning and he asked me how were the seals installed. Were the seams on the top or the bottom? Mine were on the bottom. He said that was the cause of my leaking issue. He told me to carefully pull them off and reinstall them with the seams at the top. Thought I would forward this along in case someone else is having the same issue. I'm attaching a picture of mine so you can see the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151002_105454[1].jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	3234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151002_105422[1].jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3235
    I switched the seals around and ran a water test and it leaked just as bad as before. Since it has to go to the dealership for a couple of other things, I will let them deal with it!
    Hopefully they can find a fix for it
    Jim and Ellie
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2015 GMC 3500 Denali Diesel CC Dually
    2014 Harley Trike
    Haverhill, MA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious if you were ever able to get resolution for this leaking problem? We have a 2019 Momentum 354M and have the same leak problem as you had. Went out to the rig after it had been raining all night, and there was a good 2" of water in the plastic tray. I'm worried that it's indicative of a more insidious problem with water intrusion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlyslaughter View Post
    I'm curious if you were ever able to get resolution for this leaking problem? We have a 2019 Momentum 354M and have the same leak problem as you had. Went out to the rig after it had been raining all night, and there was a good 2" of water in the plastic tray. I'm worried that it's indicative of a more insidious problem with water intrusion.
    On mine I found that the seam in the frame was not sealed. The seam was in the 9:00 position. When water ran down that side of the door it flowed right through the seam. A little silicone seal and its been dry since. Most of the other compartment frames have the joint at the top or bottom and have not given me a problem.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same problem with a 2019 394m. Only the front storage is doing it. Water collects in the tray but the rest of the inside is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast