User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust prevention on rotors over winter?

Wow, look terrible on every side but the one facing the sun exposure. I'm assuming they will smooth off with some braking action. Do covers help with the rust? I wouldn't think so. But parked the car outside for one week and all four pads were frozen to rotors and POW when they broke free. These look as bad as VW/Audi rotors (which come with a thin blue coating to prevent rust) which rust if you look at them cross-eyed. I know some folks paint them - I just can't bring myself to do that.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldnt sweat it..... They will clean on first usage if brakes are working properly?
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the trailer once a year and the rust does not have enough time to do any damage. {pitting} First application of the brakes and the rust is gone.
    2023 23LDE
    2023 GMC Sierra 1500 Ultimate Denali

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Wow, look terrible on every side but the one facing the sun exposure. I'm assuming they will smooth off with some braking action. Do covers help with the rust? I wouldn't think so. But parked the car outside for one week and all four pads were frozen to rotors and POW when they broke free. These look as bad as VW/Audi rotors (which come with a thin blue coating to prevent rust) which rust if you look at them cross-eyed. I know some folks paint them - I just can't bring myself to do that.
    I would think paint would prevent the pads from making proper contact. Would also wear off after a few brake applications so pretty much a waste of time.

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    I would think paint would prevent the pads from making proper contact. Would also wear off after a few brake applications so pretty much a waste of time.
    Yeah, I would think painting the rotors is a very bad idea. Rust is just something to have to put up with when the rotors are cast iron/steel, which is very common. Not a problem with rotors that are rotated and used frequently, but perhaps could lead to pitting if not used often enough to scrape the rust off.

I honestly can't think of anything to do about it that won't degrade the braking ability of the disc.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Wouldnt sweat it..... They will clean on first usage if brakes are working properly?
    Well 650 miles into trip to Elkhart and they are shiny but you can still see the pits where the rust was deeper. Not sure how I can prevent that. Wear and tear will probably take care of that in the long run. No problems braking though.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well 650 miles into trip to Elkhart and they are shiny but you can still see the pits where the rust was deeper. Not sure how I can prevent that. Wear and tear will probably take care of that in the long run. No problems braking though.
    Yeah.... the "surface" should wear off. Any deeper pitting may not clean as well. Small pitting wont effect the performance of the braking system.

If available and not already on, could eventually replace pads with caramic material. They tend to wear (pad and rotor) more evenly with less noise and dust as well. I change out all my disc pads with ceramic shortly after buying a new vehicle.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on ur important trip!!
    Larry and JoAnna
    23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, 22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Good luck on ur important trip!!
    Brakes are clean and I made it to Middlebury GD site but trip from H E double L. Found more flex issues. More broken stuff (rear of island coming off, Microwave door chafed all the paint inside off and that was in the microwave, weird screw under the slide overlap which gouged the linoleum when going out at Middlebury. First two days were rain, rain, and more rain. First night parked in mud at a farm -TV and RV were covered in mud. Today going around Cleveland was forced to run over a dead carcass of some kind with trucks on either side of me. Front of rig was covered in blood and guts, plus mud from two nights earlier when I pulled into the first Ohio Tpke rest area - then started searching for a Blue Beacon between Cleveland and Elkhart. Found one south of Toledo thankfully.

I didn't really buy into a Covid build, but I do now. Everything is falling off or apart.

And for those with future factory appointments, don't show up at the Middlebury GD sites on weekends - the place is shut down and I can't dump my tanks (they only have electric - no water). There is a dump station but the gates are locked all weekend. And, have to check in at Elkhart at 6am Monday and try to dump tanks before that and empty the trailer (which I can't do until I disconnect). Have no idea how this is going to work.
    Robin & John

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brakes are clean and I made it to Middlebury GD site but trip from H E double L. Found more flex issues. More broken stuff (rear of island coming off, Microwave door chafed all the paint inside off and that was in the microwave, weird screw under the slide overlap which gouged the linoleum when going out at Middlebury. First two days were rain, rain, and more rain. First night parked in mud at a farm -TV and RV were covered in mud. Today going around Cleveland was forced to run over a dead carcass of some kind with trucks on either side of me. Front of rig was covered in blood and guts, plus mud from two nights earlier when I pulled into the first Ohio Tpke rest area - then started searching for a Blue Beacon between Cleveland and Elkhart. Found one south of Toledo thankfully.

I didn't really buy into a Covid build, but I do now. Everything is falling off or apart.

And for those with future factory appointments, don't show up at the Middlebury GD sites on weekends - the place is shut down and I can't dump my tanks (they only have electric - no water). There is a dump station but the gates are locked all weekend. And, have to check in at Elkhart at 6am Monday and try to dump tanks before that and empty the trailer (which I can't do until I disconnect). Have no idea how this is going to work.
    There used to be a saying (Get that great GM feeling) Think you are getting that great GD feeling. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast