User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides a handgun, what form of RV protection do you have ready if needed?

My wife is terribly uncomfortable with the idea of a gun in our house or RV with our 2 young kids. I didn't grow up with guns so it's really not a big deal to respect her wishes as it means so much to her.

Having said that, I think it's a good idea to have something... something if ever needed. Someone aggressively bangs on your RV door at 1 am, you see a wild animal that just won't leave your site, you get the picture.

If you carry when on the road, feel free to include that but I'm more interested in self or home defense options besides guns, that are suited for RV living. Thanks for reading.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't carry anything.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Don't carry anything.
    Ever have a situation where you wish you did?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New England Weekender View Post
    Ever have a situation where you wish you did?
    Nope.

We have had a couple issues with groups of non-white males shooting at each other when they felt they had been stared at. Being an old white male, I try to avoid being in those situations.

I had a friend tell me he had wished he had a weapon one time when he was in downtown, and felt unsafe because there was a group of young black men approaching. Absolutely nothing happened, and nothing even hinted at, but I can certainly see if had been carrying a weapon, things could have gone south in a hurry.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question.

A gun can be a useful tool IF all necessary conditions are met. Those include: proper training, having the loaded, ready-to-shoot gun with you and having sufficient ability to pull the gun out and actually use it. An unloaded gun in one part of the trailer, the ammunition in another part, and you in a third part means that the gun isn't a useful tool.

We winter at an Escapees Co-op, and it seems that nearly everyone here is either retired military, retired law enforcement, or both. I know that there are several people who have various guns either on them or close to hand and know how to use them. They also know when to use them and when not to use them. In other words, they are properly trained.

To answer the original question, I'd suggest you talk to a local law enforcement agency about personal security as it applies to your home and trailer. Assure them that you aren't necessarily looking for a gun, but what else can you do? If you have friends with guns, talk to them, too.

Jo Ann and I talked about the situation of people bothering us while we're in the RV, and what, if anything, we could do about it. That was one big argument for a motor home. Since the only utility we keep connected is the electrical cord, we felt we could start up and drive off at any time, even if the electrical cord or pedestal was damaged in the process. That isn't possible with a trailer.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New England Weekender View Post
    Having said that, I think it's a good idea to have something... something if ever needed. Someone aggressively bangs on your RV door at 1 am, you see a wild animal that just won't leave your site, you get the picture
    I'm not sure what you could use as an option to protect against wild animals other than hand them a steak and run for your life! Really the chances are slim of either happening but you never know 100% whos out there. If you don't want to carry a firearm the options are few unless you practice martial arts . Maybe both of you take a firearm safety course before you make any decisions.

Moderator hat on
    Please everyone be careful how you approach this conversation and keep any degrading statements on race of any kind out of the conversation . Also opinions differ although you might not agree...keep it civil

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Interesting question.

Jo Ann and I talked about the situation of people bothering us while we're in the RV, and what, if anything, we could do about it. That was one big argument for a motor home. Since the only utility we keep connected is the electrical cord, we felt we could start up and drive off at any time, even if the electrical cord or pedestal was damaged in the process. That isn't possible with a trailer.
    Did you have a case where people were bothering you or was this a hypothetical you've prepared for, just in case?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind a hand gun is almost useless for defense
    So you boondock? I can maybe see a need if in remote places but definitely not if only in campgrounds
    Even Walmart camping I wouldn’t think k there would be a need
    But imo a shotgun is better to keep nearby
    Keep in mind if you plan any travel into Canada leave it home

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I'm not sure what you could use as an option to protect against wild animals other than hand them a steak and run for your life! Really the chances are slim of either happening but you never know 100% whos out there. If you don't want to carry a firearm the options are few unless you practice martial arts . Maybe both of you take a firearm safety course before you make any decisions.

Moderator hat on
    Please everyone be careful how you approach this conversation and keep any degrading statements on race of any kind out of the conversation . Also opinions differ although you might not agree...keep it civil

We've talked about a firearms safety course in the past but when I've found specific ones coming up, she is reluctant. I believe her fear is entirely on the kids getting ahold of one. She has read plenty of negligence case law where well-intentioned people have been prosecuted over their children having lethal accidents with their guns.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Keep in mind a hand gun is almost useless for defense
    So you boondock? I can maybe see a need if in remote places but definitely not if only in campgrounds
    Even Walmart camping I wouldn’t think k there would be a need
    But imo a shotgun is better to keep nearby
    Keep in mind if you plan any travel into Canada leave it home
    0 boondocking plans. Probably 95% campgrounds and 5% beaches, racetracks, etc. Maybe some sort of long-distance 15-20' range pepper spray would be the wiser choice for me?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast