User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question, do I need to carry a 2nd water hose?

Have seen people say they always carry 2 or more hoses. I saw a YT video where the guy recommends coming from the pedestal with a hose splitter before your potable clean hose to the rig. Later on he mentions keeping a 5 gal bucket with you at all times for putting out camp firepit fires, etc. The bucket stays upside down and covers the tongue jack to keep it dry. The safety chains clip on to hold it down. If I have a bucket handy and a water splitter handy, AND two separate ports for my quick connect coiled water hose at the front and rear by the outdoor kitchen, do I really need to have a 2nd hose with me as well?

My thinking is the only time it would be needed is to flush the black tank at the connection port. Does this normally get done in the campgrounds or once you're home at local dump stations? Correct me if I'm off here. I have no plans to use the blue clean hose on the black tank port, just wondering if I need the hose at all on the road. Space is most definitely a premium here. Thank you.

ETA: I should also mention 90% of our adventures will be 2 night or 3 night weekend trips and an occasional 7 night trip when we can make it work.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're fulltimers and just now starting to try boondocking. Our water system is a bit more elaborate than most because of that. I carry several lengths of white hose for filling the fresh water tank. I carry another length of hose for flushing the tanks, washing the trailer, etc.

There are times when the water connection is some distance from the RV, and one hose isn't long enough. Several years ago we were at a Habitat For Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner build where there was only one water faucet for everyone. We had to borrow hoses from each other to fill our tanks.

As to your questions, I'd suggest you rinse the black tank whenever you dump. Since home is where we park it, I generally dump and fill when we arrive at a campground. Why? The fresh water tank is the one farthest forward on our trailer, and we're heavy on the tongue, so having that tank less full helps. The black tank is well shaken up when we land, so it gets cleaner to start with, and then I rinse it.

You don't need a second hose until you do. If you are okay with understanding that someday you will have to run into town to buy another hose and sanitize it before you can fill your tank, you don't have to carry another hose. Otherwise, I'd suggest you get a second hose, sanitize it, then keep it coiled up (ends together) until you need it.

BTW, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clean the tank at home you need access to a sewer to dump in. Without that it will get stinky around the house real quick.We usually clean the black tank at the campground. We do carry a splitter and extra hose, makes watering and cleaning the dog dish easier. I find those coiled hoses to be cumbersom and short, never kept one in the trailer for that reason. Having the hose we don't see the need for a bucket to douse the fire but we also usuall keep a square 7 gallon water jug with a spout for outside hand washing (we have no outside kitchen on the trailer) that can be used for putting out fires
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

To clean the tank at home you need access to a sewer to dump in. Without that it will get stinky around the house real quick.We usually clean the black tank at the campground. We do carry a splitter and extra hose, makes watering and cleaning the dog dish easier. I find those coiled hoses to be cumbersom and short, never kept one in the trailer for that reason. Having the hose we don't see the need for a bucket to douse the fire but we also usuall keep a square 7 gallon water jug with a spout for outside hand washing (we have no outside kitchen on the trailer) that can be used for putting out fires
    We bought the trailer last month so our break in trip hasn't happened yet, but my expectation is this little coiled hose GD gives free with purchase does seem on the cheaper side but maybe it'll be fine to use on occasion. I like the 7 gal jug idea. Smart!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    BTW, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
    Lol. Indeed.

Thanks for your comments. I'll buy an added 25' to join my 35' and sanitize them both, have them ready. And I have old spare hoses for the black tank washout.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weve been able to use our Camco 50' hose at every CG so far without issue for past 4 yrs. But, some CG's can get "unique" with their utility hook ups.

Agree with others that atleast 50'+ of hose is a good start for most CGs.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry several different lengths of drinking water hoses. I have been at campgrounds that I need all of them. I also carry a 50' garden hose for flushing my black tank. I use a "Y" to connect the hoses to. My water pressure regulator go to the drinking water hoses.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New England Weekender View Post
    Lol. Indeed.

Thanks for your comments. I'll buy an added 25' to join my 35' and sanitize them both, have them ready. And I have old spare hoses for the black tank washout.
    For a 2nd hose you can use one of those light weight expandable hoses, we carry a 50 ft drinking safe expandable.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @New England Weekender

"My thinking is the only time it would be needed is to flush the black tank at the connection port. Does this normally get done in the campgrounds or once you're home at local dump stations? Correct me if I'm off here. I have no plans to use the blue clean hose on the black tank port, just wondering if I need the hose at all on the road. Space is most definitely a premium here."

We flush out our black tank several times after each dump... especially when we have full hookups at a campground. I use a water meter on the black tank flush and put around 35 gallons in it with the dump valve shut then open it up and let it rip. You MUST keep an eye on the meter and not get distracted when filling up the black tank with the valve shut, otherwise you could end up with what I call a $hitastrophy, lol! I do this a minimum of 2 times, maybe more if we're heading home or getting ready to winterize. As far as how many hoses or what lengths of hoses you carry depends on your camping style. We travel with friends and have stayed at State Parks where the water spigots might be a couple of hundred feet away... having enough hoses to put together is a game changer when you want to refill your fresh water tank. I carry two 25' x 5/8" Blue water hoses for my primary usage and have a 50' & 75' x 1/2" white hoses in a Rubbermaid container for times when needed. I also have about a 15' piece of green 3/4" garden hose for the black tank flush that gets hooked to one side of the hose splitter before my Watts pressure regulator. Also, there is no problem with cross contamination by hooking up to the black tank flush port with a fresh water hose on your GD RV. There's a check valve located high up in that pex line, usually behind the shower wall that won't allow any back flow. Water goes up to around shower faucet height and then back down to the flush port in the black tank. Any water that comes back out of the flush port connection point when disconnecting it is just fresh water from the one way check valve back down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230415_082106.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	50509

Name:	20230415_082125.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	50510
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 04-21-2024 at 06:16 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @New England Weekender
    ........ Also, there is no problem with cross contamination by hooking up to the black tank flush port with a fresh water hose on your GD RV. There's a check valve located high up in that pex line, usually behind the shower wall that won't allow any back flow. Water goes up to around shower faucet height and then back down to the flush port in the black tank. Any water that comes back out of the flush port connection point when disconnecting it is just fresh water from the one way check valve back down.

Name:	20230415_082106.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	50509

Name:	20230415_082125.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	50510
    Good point!
    Jim and Annette