User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310GK Bounce When Towing

So, I recently upgraded from a Chevy 2500 standard bed towing this trailer to a Chevy 3500DRW. This has been a great improvement where lateral stability is concerned. Ride is more firm of course, but I expected and accept that. My issue now is the bounce on rough sections of road. The sea saw effect. Didn't have this with my 2500 except on the worst of roads, and even then it wasn't bad. I'm towing nearly level, hitch is over the axle, and trailer has all the heavy bits in front and basement storage. I was really hoping not to have to modify such a capable truck but it seems I may need to. Past trucks including the most recent 2500 had Bilstein 5100's on all four corners and rear airbags. I needed bags in the past for support, but not so much here as the rear only drops an inch past level. That being said, would airbags with a modest amount of pressure help calm the bounce or will I just be fighting the stock suspension from working as designed?

As far as weight is concerned, the rear axle is sitting at 6960, and GVW is sitting at 12280 so no where near the truck's limits of 10200/14000.
    2024 310GK
    2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW, B&W companion

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still gotta think pin weight. Do you have the ability to get it weighed...somewhere close?
    The only time a see-saw effect happened to me is when I was light on the pin.

Oh... there was a goofy section of I35 between Duluth and the Twin Cities. The bumps or cracks were spaced in such a way the trailer just wanted to buck...but, I see from your map you have never been to Minnesota..so it isn't that...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking a shock change will help and the air bags probably help some also .
    Sounds like you need the same mods you made to 2500
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An air hitch will take away almost all that bounce you feel from bad roads. We have an AirSafe and rarely get bounced around .
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 04-22-2024 at 06:59 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txloser View Post
    So, I recently upgraded from a Chevy 2500 standard bed towing this trailer to a Chevy 3500DRW. This has been a great improvement where lateral stability is concerned. Ride is more firm of course, but I expected and accept that. My issue now is the bounce on rough sections of road. The sea saw effect. Didn't have this with my 2500 except on the worst of roads, and even then it wasn't bad. I'm towing nearly level, hitch is over the axle, and trailer has all the heavy bits in front and basement storage. I was really hoping not to have to modify such a capable truck but it seems I may need to. Past trucks including the most recent 2500 had Bilstein 5100's on all four corners and rear airbags. I needed bags in the past for support, but not so much here as the rear only drops an inch past level. That being said, would airbags with a modest amount of pressure help calm the bounce or will I just be fighting the stock suspension from working as designed?

As far as weight is concerned, the rear axle is sitting at 6960, and GVW is sitting at 12280 so no where near the truck's limits of 10200/14000.
    I am thinking that the OEM shocks are not performing as well as the Bilsteen shocks you are used to. In addition, I think the air bags were helping your ride quality just as much as it was keeping the truck from squatting.

If you have the factory Puck System in your new truck. I would suggest replacing your pinbox with a Reese GooseBox. The Reese GooseBox has an integrated airbag that really smooths out the ride. Considering what replacing your shocks with Bilsteens and adding airbags would cost, replacing the Pinbox and selling your existing hitch might be the most wallet friendly option.

I will say from experience that we really love how the Reese GooseBox rides, and being able to simply pick up the ball to gain access to our truckbed is fantastic.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck is older, but Bilsteins & air bags made a bid difference in my towing experience. It firmed up the bounce quite a bit, to much air makes the boing worse. I fine tune the bags on the go to find the sweet spot. The added benefit is when empty I put enough air in the bags to get off the overloads which make for a better ride.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added some bags today. Just the 5000lb bags since I don’t need much. I’ll hold on the shocks for now since the current ones only have 1300 miles on them. I’ll do a test tow tomorrow to see how it does. I don’t expect a night and day improvement but even a small one is good.
    2024 310GK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txloser View Post
    I added some bags today. Just the 5000lb bags since I don’t need much. I’ll hold on the shocks for now since the current ones only have 1300 miles on them. I’ll do a test tow tomorrow to see how it does. I don’t expect a night and day improvement but even a small one is good.

Which air bags did you go with I have been thinking about adding somes?
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    You didn’t ask me, but I just went with Airlift 5000lb, 2 gal tank, remote in truck cab. Works good so far.
    Larry and JoAnna
    Ď23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, Ď22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I did the Air Lift 5000 ProSeries. Didnít need the 7500xl with the jounce. I also didnít add an onboard compressor this time. Just a single point shrader at the license plate. Iíll just leave them at 10 psi or 5psi and see what that yields with the trailer weight on it. Currently theyíre at 10psi and empty I canít tell much difference. If anything it almost rides better which is not what I expected. Iíve always had Firestone in the past, but figured Iíd give these a try just to mix things up a bit. Sure was nice letting someone else install these as theyíre a bit more of a pain than the Firestone bags to install. Still took the guy two hours. For me it wouldíve been 4 and a sore back today.
    2024 310GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast