Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home prepped food for your dogs

Any one else here prepping their dogs meals. We started to about 3 weeks ago. Right now I'm doing the"gently cooked" meals and will likely transition into raw in the next few weeks if Belle likes raw.

Right now she is loving her home cooked meals. I just got done prepping for the next couple weeks. We'll be on the road most of that time starting in a few days.

The benefits of home prepped are many and the bonus is picking up poop is easier, no kibble= less than half the size poops..yep a crappy topic

To make it easier and to have room in the trailer fridge/freezer we bought a 30qt 12v fridge. Not dual zone, run it on one or the other. Been testing if out and so far it's keeping temps within a degree or 2

If anyone is doing this I'm open to any and all tips and recipes.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 04-30-2024 at 04:19 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing to offer, but very interested in others ideas.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am suprised there is no one feeding home, raw or even the farmers dog type foods here. I gave up on kibble with all the recent issues killing pets , scary is it is many top names in the industry https://youtu.be/4MZLdustEyY?si=eSxzZ6cQcvCrDsQm

I do supplement with appropriate vitamins and minerals to keep the diet healthy . We switched to this not long before Skye passed, which I don't think it was food caused.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I am suprised there is no one feeding home, raw or even the farmers dog type foods here. I gave up on kibble with all the recent issues killing pets , scary is it is many top names in the industry https://youtu.be/4MZLdustEyY?si=eSxzZ6cQcvCrDsQm

I do supplement with appropriate vitamins and minerals to keep the diet healthy . We switched to this not long before Skye passed, which I don't think it was food caused.
    DW shifted to Farmer's Dog and Ketona combination after we lost our male German Shepherd/Heeler mix before he turned 12 two years ago - nightmare of a first trip with our son giving the dog insulin shots and IVs for hydration until we got home only to see him go into seizures two days after returning. His sister will be 14 this year and already had a bout with cancer which DW gives turkey tail mushroom for. We found out about the turkey tail and lions mane mushroom when we stayed in Chattanooga and our neighbor had a 15 year old Golden which was fighting off cancer and seemed to be winning the battle. She looks healthier than she has ever looked and still climbs the stairs at home multiple times a day. Minimal shots and natural flea/tick after our Collie started to throw up immediately after applying heart guard. Always wondered about all the shots most vets give - seems like just pumping in poison. Now DW takes the dogs to a natural vet.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    DW shifted to Farmer's Dog and Ketona combination after we lost our male German Shepherd/Heeler mix before he turned 12 two years ago - nightmare of a first trip with our son giving the dog insulin shots and IVs for hydration until we got home only to see him go into seizures two days after returning. His sister will be 14 this year and already had a bout with cancer which DW gives turkey tail mushroom for. We found out about the turkey tail and lions mane mushroom when we stayed in Chattanooga and our neighbor had a 15 year old Golden which was fighting off cancer and seemed to be winning the battle. She looks healthier than she has ever looked and still climbs the stairs at home multiple times a day. Minimal shots and natural flea/tick after our Collie started to throw up immediately after applying heart guard. Always wondered about all the shots most vets give - seems like just pumping in poison. Now DW takes the dogs to a natural vet.
    I'm doing something simular to the farmers dog now on my own. We are on the road (a slow morning here) and only have a minimal amount of space so supplemented by getting a 30 qt 12 v fridge/freezer that can be either but not dual zone. It give space for all the dog food without taking room from the trailer fridge and sits in the back seat on the floor. Or inside plugged in while stationary. Even after a few weeks I can see the difference in Belles coat and she no longer picks at her food.
    Once we land I am going to join a co-op back in MI for raw and home feeders to gain bulk buying pricing for human grade food. Once we get back to FL I'll look for a co-op group there too. By then we might have a 2nd dog, Belles lost being the only child.

The vet we use in FL is all for raw and gently cooked and gave me a list of links to research. Or MI vet is our secondary vet now because we like the FL vet better. Many vets do over vaccinate and some have backed down from some of the yearly stuff. You can titer the rabies and show that if needed but most localities won't liscense without the real thing, they need to get out of the stone age.
    We discovered a couple lumps on Belle recently and started her back on CBD...it shrunk a good sized lump in one of our previous dogs.

As for mushrooms, I take Cordycepts daily and lions mane occasionally too.

Have you had your collie tested for the MDR1 gene mutation? if not look into it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you had your collie tested for the MDR1 gene mutation? if not look into it.
    Even with the residential fridge, freezer space on long trips is an issue. Can you share any info on the small fridge/freezer that runs on 12v? That sounds very interesting.

Collie's (three) passed away decades ago along with our Golden so no on the MDR1 mutation. All at 12 or under. Cleo, our female sister of our GS/heeler male is doing really well on the mushrooms. I'll keep the CBD in mind as she still has a couple of fatty lumps. She'll be 14 this August but is not happy with the new heeler puppy in the house!
    Last edited by ajg617; 05-06-2024 at 09:50 AM.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 12v we bought is Bouge Rv from Amazon Have had it plugged in both on ele and 12v for a week at -01* and it's holding temps like a champ.. It's only been used since then so can't speak for longevity but so far it's been a great purchase and has made things quite a bit easier with feeding the dog and having space.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 12v we bought is Bouge Rv from Amazon Have had it plugged in both on ele and 12v for a week at -01* and it's holding temps like a champ.. It's only been used since then so can't speak for longevity but so far it's been a great purchase and has made things quite a bit easier with feeding the dog and having space.
    Thanks Marcy. This looks like a neat product. The only problem in the truck for us is they've done away with cigarette lighter adapters in ours - only one on the dash where I have all the monitors connected. Wonder if it would run on a USB port - plenty of those?
    Robin & John

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search their website they offer power packs but it is a short term, quite pricey solution. I haven't read anything about usb operation but never looked for it either. Hard to believe in todays 12v travel world any truck not having a back seat plug. IF you have a 110 plug it comes with one of those as well and both cords have good length to them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have 110V plugs - one in the bed and one inside the console under the armrest. I'll have to look a bit more. Given the price of Farmers Dog and how well they seem to be doing on it, don't think we want to change and this would give us an option for food to carry on longer trips. Thanks Marcy!
    Robin & John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast