User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WDH for 2024 Imagine 2970RL

I just purchased a '24 Imagine 2970RL from a dealer and they put a E4 1,000/10,000 lb. hitch on my tow vehicle which is '24 Silverado 2500 custom 4x4. I have loaded up the truck and TT to go camping for first time and stopped by the cat scale to check on the weight of everything and found that the hitch weight is at 1,060 lbs. right now and I still have 300 lbs. of CCC that could be added yet to the TT. I am sure that since this is our first time out with the TT there is going to be more things that we will need/want to get for future camping trips and this TT has the front passthrough storage compartment which will add to the weight on the hitch setup. My question is what weight WDH is everyone using with this type of TT? My gvwr is 8950 lbs. and my hitch weight is 880 lbs. according to the weight spec sheet that came with TT. But being that I am already sitting at 1060 on my hitch weight and still have cargo room wondering if I need to switch to the E4 1,200/12,000?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to figure this out yourself by seeing if the current set of bars allows you to transfer enough weight to the front of your truck. On level ground measure using a tape at front and rear. Ideally, enough weight should be transferred to take out all the rise in the front when loaded and then some, so the rear and the front are compressed some with the trailer load. The procedure is detailed well in the video in the article link below. Different hitch than yours but the concept is the same. If you can't move enough weight forward by adjusting your hitch, then go up to a heavier bar. Add some stuff on your trailer to represent what your final weight will be when checking the hitch. Also, not surprising that your tongue weight is more than expected

https://www.rvlifemag.com/how-to-set...-hitch-system/
    Last edited by JPS350; 05-10-2024 at 09:00 PM.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lester alexander View Post
    I just purchased a '24 Imagine 2970RL from a dealer and they put a E4 1,000/10,000 lb. hitch on my tow vehicle which is '24 Silverado 2500 custom 4x4. I have loaded up the truck and TT to go camping for first time and stopped by the cat scale to check on the weight of everything and found that the hitch weight is at 1,060 lbs. right now and I still have 300 lbs. of CCC that could be added yet to the TT. I am sure that since this is our first time out with the TT there is going to be more things that we will need/want to get for future camping trips and this TT has the front passthrough storage compartment which will add to the weight on the hitch setup. My question is what weight WDH is everyone using with this type of TT? My gvwr is 8950 lbs. and my hitch weight is 880 lbs. according to the weight spec sheet that came with TT. But being that I am already sitting at 1060 on my hitch weight and still have cargo room wondering if I need to switch to the E4 1,200/12,000?
    Itís always been my opinion that if you need a WD hitch, you either need more truck or less trailer.
    Dealer installed one when we bought the trailer, but I donít use the bars.
    Truck handles it fine.
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lester alexander View Post
    When we first started out we had an Imagine 2950RL, older version but same RV as your 2970RL. It's a heavy trailer especially if you have the front AC unit and the cargo hold is all up front like you said and will add to the hitch weight. The fresh water tank is right up front also and will contribute substantially to the hitch weight. The unloaded hitch weight stated on our new unit specs, for our RV, was way over 900 lbs to start with. The dealership installed for us the equalizer 1000 WDH and it's too light for the 2970RL. We had to go to the 1200 WDH. I would have went ever higher rating but that meant going to a different head to handle the heavier bars. We stayed with the 1200 but Our hitch weight ran over 1300 lbs with water in the fresh tank. I think you should at least go to the 1200 lb bars. The equalizer and most WDH also incorporate sway control into the hitch design, and with these kinds of RVs you definitely need some type of sway control.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-15-2024 at 06:15 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Texas Fulltimers since July 2020, Escapee's, FMCA Members
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2600RB View Post
    Itís always been my opinion that if you need a WD hitch, you either need more truck or less trailer.
    Dealer installed one when we bought the trailer, but I donít use the bars.
    Truck handles it fine.
    Rich
    That might be your opinion but i doubt you get many to agree with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    I don't care whether peeps agree with me or not.
    I stand by my statement based on almost 50 years of towing tongue pull trailers.
    YMMV
    Rich
    Last edited by RV2600RB; 05-17-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pulling a 2600 RB with a 2500 Ram diesel and use a wd hitch. I did try without but its night and day difference with the hitch.

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2600RB View Post
    I don't care whether peeps agree with me or not.
    I stand by my statement based on almost 50 years of towing tongue pull trailers.
    YMMV
    Rich
    How old are you, considering that you've been pulling for almost 50 years?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    How old are you, considering that you've been pulling for almost 50 years?
    63. Iíve been towing trailers since I got my license at 15.
    Iíve been RVing for over 30 years.
    Rich

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donít use WDH after A Frame on tongue bent up due to stress of WDH

Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    I had the subframe and A-frame bend last year in New Mexico. Was out of warranty but Lippert to paid to have it replaced with thicker steel and braces added between subframe.

If you look around the Internet, there are quite a few examples of people having similar problems. BTW: Lippert puts restrictions on WDH use with their frames.

I have a 2450 RL (7500lbs) and tow with a Silverado 2500. I have been going without the weight distributing hitch this year and have not noticed a difference towing. No sway and trailer still tows level.
    Erik & Becca
    2021 Imagine 2450rl
    (dinette and recliner delete)
    2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab gasser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast