User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mouse urine, droppings, lingering odor

Uggghhhh!

I had a BAD mouse infestation this winter.
    I think I finally trapped them all and disinfected everything. Well, everything that I didn't throw away!

Based on odor, I am concerned that there are remnants of the little critters somewhere under my kitchen sink. Maybe in the insulation around my furnace. I'm not sure.

My question is what is the best way to access that area and really look at insulation and maybe even the undercarriage?

I can remove the panel in front of the furnace, but then do I pull up the floor? Pull out the insulation? Disconnect the heating ducts? Or, do I try to go in from under the camper. All of these options actually seem WAY above my abilities. But, I feel I have to do something.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!
    2021 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Ford F150

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mice in your RV are never a good thing. We had a bad infestation in our last coach and could never restore it completely. Our problem was the nests in areas beyond easy reach such as the air ducts. I wish I had an easy fix for you, probably your nose will guide you to the worst issues. Ultimately the only way to avoid mouse issues is to keep them out in the first place. Look for access points and fill them with foam or brass wool. Make sure you thoroughly clean out the coach before winter storage so there's nothing there to attract the mice.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope it gets done...Mice are not fun and cause tons of damage as you found out. It is hard to say the best access. If you furnace is in a cabinet you might have to remove the cabinet to gain full access. Dropping the coroplast might gain access to the insulation and ducts...this is just a wild guess though. Worst case is an insurance claim and take it to a shop ??
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Mice in your RV are never a good thing. We had a bad infestation in our last coach and could never restore it completely. Our problem was the nests in areas beyond easy reach such as the air ducts. I wish I had an easy fix for you, probably your nose will guide you to the worst issues. Ultimately the only way to avoid mouse issues is to keep them out in the first place. Look for access points and fill them with foam or brass wool. Make sure you thoroughly clean out the coach before winter storage so there's nothing there to attract the mice.
    Thank you! It sounds like my issue from this point on is the same as yours . . . beyond easy to reach spaces.
    We'll be making some changes this fall when we put the trailer away for the season.
    2019 Ford F150

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Hope it gets done...Mice are not fun and cause tons of damage as you found out. It is hard to say the best access. If you furnace is in a cabinet you might have to remove the cabinet to gain full access. Dropping the coroplast might gain access to the insulation and ducts...this is just a wild guess though. Worst case is an insurance claim and take it to a shop ??
    I looked at the underside, which I assume is where the coroplast you are talking about is. It's very intimidating to think about dropping that. There's SO many big bolts!!! Perhaps reaching out to GD and/or a decent dealer (if they exist) can shed some light on the layout of the underside and duct work and help me make a decision on whether it's worth dropping the coroplast. Thank you for helping think this through!

As for an insurance claim . . . I just said to my husband this morning that I wish I had taken pictures and submitted a claim to see what would happen. But, I don't have any pics and I have already thrown away what I couldn't disinfect.
    Last edited by Hiking Girl; 05-12-2024 at 09:27 AM.
    2019 Ford F150

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post
    I looked at the underside, which I assume is where the coroplast you are talking about is. It's very intimidating to think about dropping that. There's SO many big bolts!!! Perhaps reaching out to GD and/or a decent dealer (if they exist) can shed some light on the layout of the underside and duct work and help me make a decision on whether it's worth dropping the coroplast. Thank you for helping think this through!

As for an insurance claim . . . I just said to my husband that I wish I had taken pictures and submitted a claim to see what would happen. But, I don't have any pics and I have already thrown away what I couldn't disinfect.
    If your insurance covers this sort of damage, file a claim. The adjuster will be able to tell using their sense of smell that you're not lying.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    If your insurance covers this sort of damage, file a claim. The adjuster will be able to tell using their sense of smell that you're not lying.
    Alrighty!! I'll look into it. Thank you!
    2019 Ford F150

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping the coroplast is tedious with all the bolts but with a few people tedious do able to re install. If you attemp it do half at a time. There are threads here about how to it you do a search.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Dropping the coroplast is tedious with all the bolts but with a few people tedious do able to re install. If you attemp it do half at a time. There are threads here about how to it you do a search.
    Awesome! Thank you!
    2019 Ford F150

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post

My question is what is the best way to access that area and really look at insulation and maybe even the undercarriage?

I can remove the panel in front of the furnace, but then do I pull up the floor? Pull out the insulation? Disconnect the heating ducts? Or, do I try to go in from under the camper. All of these options actually seem WAY above my abilities. But, I feel I have to do something.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    You may want to get an endoscope camera with a light from Amazon or ..... They normally attach to your phone and allows you to see around corners and other places that are hard to access.
    Good luck with this.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast