User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Plumas County, CA
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lithium Battery upgrade.

    I recently upgraded my batteries to the Lithium LiFEPo4. I know I need to upgrade my Converter/charger to one that will charger to 14.6 amps. I would like to know what brand and model would be best. Right now, I have the stock converter that came with my 2020 303. WF=9855.

    Thanks for any info. I asked this question back in Jan, but I just got the batteries.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

  2. #2
    Site Sponsor SolarPoweredRV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    2,120
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    I recently upgraded my batteries to the Lithium LiFEPo4. I know I need to upgrade my Converter/charger to one that will charger to 14.6 amps. I would like to know what brand and model would be best. Right now, I have the stock converter that came with my 2020 303. WF=9855.

    Thanks for any info. I asked this question back in Jan, but I just got the batteries.
    The brand that is most often recommended is Progressive Dynamics. Depending on how large you eventually want your battery bank to be, you could upgrade to an 80 or 90 amp charger, this would handle most 12v battery banks.

    PS: you must have been referring to 14.6 volts, instead of amps.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

  3. #3
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    538
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryball View Post
    I recently upgraded my batteries to the Lithium LiFEPo4. I know I need to upgrade my Converter/charger to one that will charger to 14.6 amps. I would like to know what brand and model would be best. Right now, I have the stock converter that came with my 2020 303. WF=9855.

    Thanks for any info. I asked this question back in Jan, but I just got the batteries.
    I upgraded my converter/charger in my 303RLS to the Power Max Lithium model PM3 120A and love it. There are several charging settings that are customizable. It quickly charges my LiP04 battery bank. I also remoted a switch to the front compartment so that I can power it off/on as desired when using shore power. All my main electrical devices are now in the front compartment for ease of access and maintainability.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LiP04 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

  4. #4
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The higher the converter capacity, the faster it will be to fill the LifePo4 batteries up. The only downfall would be cost [AFAIK]. Go big. I've got a PowerMax 100A converter and it works fine. I'm thinking of going to a 125A converter.

    If you do go to a 100A, you are really close to the 15A breaker. My electrical panel is rated to 20A and had a 15A breaker. I swapped the breaker to a 20A because it would trip at times. Hasn't tripped since the swap.

    I used my WF-9855 to charge the second 600ah set of LifePo4 batteries [before installation] and they charged them fine. Much higher than what you would expect.

  5. #5
    Site Team xrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvul", TN
    Posts
    3,633
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    The higher the converter capacity, the faster it will be to fill the LifePo4 batteries up. The only downfall would be cost [AFAIK]. Go big. I've got a PowerMax 100A converter and it works fine. I'm thinking of going to a 125A converter.

    If you do go to a 100A, you are really close to the 15A breaker. My electrical panel is rated to 20A and had a 15A breaker. I swapped the breaker to a 20A because it would trip at times. Hasn't tripped since the swap.

    I used my WF-9855 to charge the second 600ah set of LifePo4 batteries [before installation] and they charged them fine. Much higher than what you would expect.
    The other possible problem area might be the batteries themselves or the BMS that they have. Some LFP batteries will have a BMS that only allows say 50 amps on a 100AH battery. Also, even if the battery's BMS doesn't limit current flow at the 50A level, all batteries will state what is allowed for charging current to flow to them safely. On a 100AH battery that may be .5C vs. 1C......which means 50amps instead of 100 amps. Just something to keep in mind before blowing a lot of money on a high output converter. Those of us with higher AH batteries is less likely to be affected. My 302AH DIY battery included.

    The cell data sheet on my battery cells (EVE LF304 AH) are listed as: Standard Charge/Discharge of .5C which would make them 152 amps. Max Charge/Discharge is 250A for both. My installed BMS has a 200A limit for current flow both in or out.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-13-2024 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added info.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  6. #6
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed your capacity does matter but when does one just buy one LifePo4 battery? Once you see the benefits of them, if you did buy just one, how long do you think it will be before you buy two? If you do buy at least a pair, which pair on the market will take less than 100A?

    One thing on the back of my mind is that if my batteries are at their minimum, it will take about 12+ hours to fully charge. Knowing the RV industry, how many converters can charge at the full capacity for that long? I'm not talking specs, talking about reality. Would I recommend a converter that could deliver more than you would use? In a heartbeat.

    Would I recommend swapping a converter out when swapping to LiFePo4 batteries and go larger? Yes. If on a budget, get the batteries first, then converter later. The stock converter will be just fine. Won't full charge them but most [if not all] car manufacturers do not recommend to charge your car full unless you are going on a long trip.

    One thing for certain, people really need to look at what their needs/wants are and not just go with someone else's opinion that might be totally different. The more you go down the LiFePo4 battery hole, the more questions you will have. If you like making your own decisions and like research, eventually, it will all make sense. If you like others to make decisions for your, I am certain there are a few business' that you could pay to get good advice and sell you some good products.
    Last edited by Butcher; 05-13-2024 at 08:38 AM.

  7. #7
    Site Team xrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvul", TN
    Posts
    3,633
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Yes indeed your capacity does matter but when does one just buy one LifePo4 battery? Once you see the benefits of them, if you did buy just one, how long do you think it will be before you buy two? If you do buy at least a pair, which pair on the market will take less than 100A?

    One thing on the back of my mind is that if my batteries are at their minimum, it will take about 12+ hours to fully charge. Knowing the RV industry, how many converters can charge at the full capacity for that long? I'm not talking specs, talking about reality. Would I recommend a converter that could deliver more than you would use? In a heartbeat.

    Would I recommend swapping a converter out when swapping to LiFePo4 batteries and go larger? Yes. If on a budget, get the batteries first, then converter later. The stock converter will be just fine. Won't full charge them but most [if not all] car manufacturers do not recommend to charge your car full unless you are going on a long trip.

    One thing for certain, people really need to look at what their needs/wants are and not just go with someone else's opinion that might be totally different. The more you go down the LiFePo4 battery hole, the more questions you will have. If you like making your own decisions and like research, eventually, it will all make sense. If you like others to make decisions for your, I am certain there are a few business' that you could pay to get good advice and sell you some good products.
    Well, I'm probably a bit different than most folks because 1. I researched and studied and decided to build my own battery and install my separately purchased BMS. 2. My four EVE cells are 302/304 AH cells, so a decent size battery to start with. 3. It fits our needs perfectly because we don't really boondock, but I wanted a larger battery because we had the JC Refrigeration mod done to our Norcold 2118 fridge and it is now a 12VDC TWIN compressor unit and will go through about 145AH in a 24 hour period of time. So a huge buffer is there for even the longest of travel days....even if that travel day was 12 or more hours, which likely ain't going to happen...LOL. The added bonus is it perfectly capable of powering the 12VDC hydraulic slides and leveling system and not even break a sweat doing it....and I do that with complete confidence without even being plugged into shore power. Oh, and it starts my onboard Onan 5500W generator and spins it without hesitation. It's obvious, I'm very happy with the results.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  8. #8
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I researched and studied and decided to build my own battery........It's obvious, I'm very happy with the results.
    Are you surprised?

    I bet, if something went wrong, you could figure it out yourself. Some of the benefits of doing it that way.

    My reasons are because I am cheap and I like to research. Mostly cheap.

  9. #9
    Site Team xrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvul", TN
    Posts
    3,633
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Are you surprised?

    I bet, if something went wrong, you could figure it out yourself. Some of the benefits of doing it that way.

    My reasons are because I am cheap and I like to research. Mostly cheap.
    Well, cost to build vs. cost to buy is certainly a factor, but also being able to customize the BMS setting via the BT app for the DALY BMS was also a desirable thing too. And yes, hopefully I could figure it out with 43 years of being a Journeyman Electrician and spending a LOT of time on the DIY Solar forum and asking a lot of questions and reading stuff over there. In the 2...maybe 2 1/2 short years since I first began this process to learn, buy, and build, I'm not so sure anymore that there is a significant cost difference between building one and buying a good quality one. Back then, there was definitely a difference between building and buying based on AHs needed or wanted. The advantage of customization though I think is still clearly in favor of the building process. After I built mine, I did a load test on the fully charged battery to determine the actual amp hours that it had. I set my BMS to cutoff at 2.55 volts per cell, which is 10.2 volts for the battery, then hooked up a 200W 12VDC heater element and let it eat. I ended up with right at 308AH....and it would have been slightly more if I had taken the battery ALL the way to the bottom....2.5V per cell or 10.0 volts on the battery. I really didn't feel the need to do that though, as I mostly just wanted to prove that there was at least 302AH, which is what they advertise for the cells. Test was definitely successful!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  10. #10
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Plumas County, CA
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone tell me where the AC plug is on my 2020 303RLS? I've removed the panel in the pass-through storage bin and found the converter. I've tried to follow the AC cord, but it goes back though a jumbo of wires and can't see where the receptacle is. There is a receptacle on the outside wall of the storage bin.
    Gerry & JoAnn Filippi
    2022 Dodge Laramie 2500 Diesel 4x4
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    Plumas County, CA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.