Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter vs inverter/charger best brand

Hey guys, I picked up a used 2014 Reflection and I've got several things I'm going to do to it but one of the things that I'm having the most trouble with is selecting a inverter/charger. I'm a dry camper with a genset attached to my bumper but would like to run my entertainment center and coffee pot with a inverter.

I've read several of the threads here where several of you have installed inverters. I'm thinking about a inverter/charger and just unplugging my converter and take the two circuits I'm interested in being "inverterized" from the breaker panel to the inverter. I've done this on my house boat at Lake Powell with a much larger system to the tune of $4K. I'm looking for something much less expensive that will cover about 1500 watts.

I've always thought Xantrex was a trusted name brand, however, I'm finding not such great reviews on Xantrex. Curious as to which brands you folks have found to be reliable?
    Jerry.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    I've done this on my house boat at Lake Powell with a much larger system to the tune of $4K. I'm looking for something much less expensive that will cover about 1500 watts.

Jerry.
    Hi Jerry,

A bigger problem for a Reflection 29RES than choosing to just add an inverter to what you have or replace the converter with an inverter/charger, is where are you going to put the extra batteries ? As you probably know from your houseboat, it takes more than just a single group 27 battery to run the entertainment centre for very long, or to make the coffee.

We seldom dry camp, so I just added one battery and an inverter wired to a dedicated outlet. I can do without the entertainment centre (if I have to) but coffee is a requirement ! .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do some homework for you tomorrow because I don't recall the manufacturer, but someone is building a direct replacement fuse/breaker panel the has a sub-panel built in. If you don't need the sub-panel, there's a "jumper" in place so the sub-panel is just an extension of the main panel. If you want to run an inverter, you add a 30-amp breaker and run the inverter through that and all the "light load" circuits on the sub-panel (lights, outlets, no appliances) run through the sub-panel.

I was kinda peeved when I saw it because I was in the process of coming up with the idea. Oh well.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I already have two 6V AGM batteries hooked up in series, and I have 200watts of solar to keep them topped off. I'd also like to be able to run the entertainment system including the satellite dish, coffee, and maybe some phone chargers. I've been considering a 1000Watt Inverter mounted near the batteries, then hard wire an adapter plug so I can plug the RV cord into the inverter. I'd have to shut off the breaker for the converter, but this would give me 120VAC at all electrical outlets. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I hope it doesn't seem that I'm not questioning your intelligence on this, because I know you have a plethora of knowledge on this stuff, just trying to offer some insight. For the size inverter, see how many amps you'll be running at the same time. Of course, you nucer and coffee maker are going to take the most. Just check the labels for each appliance and it should give you the max amps. After you calculate that, multiply the amps by 120 and there is your total watts.

As for the plug, that should work. How many amps is your trailer, 30 or 50?

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here is a link for a 50 amp center with a sub-panel option. It also includes the capability to add an energy management system.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...cs-controller/

2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a interesting panel. I like it, now to see if it fits. And yes, I've got a couple of 6v deep cycles for batteries. I'm just trying to get a feel for the best brand to buy. I guess I'll give the Xantrex a shot and cross my fingers. Jim, what you suggest should work but there are alot manual steps to take. You may want to put a larger inverter, charger to cover all your circuits and simply power your AC (except furnace and AC) with the inverter/charger.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, it is an interesting panel. It's nice so you don't have to physically move your existing circuit wires to another sub-panel, it's all in the same location.

For those asking why a sub-panel, here is a brief explanation. Many of the inverters, even the 240V will allow only 30 amp pass through on each branch. So you can't pass through the entire 50 amp circuit through the inverter to the main panel. The sub panel allows you to isolate your circuits you want to run off the inverter, limited to 30 amps. With the sub-panel, you can hardwire your inverter to the sub-panel and not have to worry about additional plugs or switches.

2020 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Jerry, it is an interesting panel. It's nice so you don't have to physically move your existing circuit wires to another sub-panel, it's all in the same location.

For those asking why a sub-panel, here is a brief explanation. Many of the inverters, even the 240V will allow only 30 amp pass through on each branch. So you can't pass through the entire 50 amp circuit through the inverter to the main panel. The sub panel allows you to isolate your circuits you want to run off the inverter, limited to 30 amps. With the sub-panel, you can hardwire your inverter to the sub-panel and not have to worry about additional plugs or switches.
    Sorry for resurrecting an old post but this could be exactly what I'm looking for. We are about to order a reflection 315rtls and I want something that I can dry camp with and not give up 120 volt appliances without running our stand alone generator. I currently have a cougar that has a 30 amp service. The wfco power center in that trailer has the 120volt side with the 12volt service on the other side and the converter below the panel. so my question is this: does the 50amp panel that comes in the reflection trailer have the same setup and if so would i then have to route the 12volt system elsewhere as it doesnt look like the precision circuits replacement panel incorporates that.

thanks

Rylan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    120V breakers and and 12v fuses are in the same place with an external converter. The link above is setup the same way with the addition of a "sub-panel" for inverter purposes.

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast