User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions re under 30 ft reflection.

We have been RV’ing for many years. Currently in a Durango 2500 fiver since 2017 after Mr Walgreens truck totaled our other fiver. We have loved that camper. 2017 was a good build year for them. Really lucked out with no issues. We are getting older and have been waffling between getting a motor home or a small fiver. Since we already have a Duramax truck we keep coming back to how we really like to travel. We like being able to park the camper and drive off. Towing has been so much easier with the fiver than a trailer( we have had both). Storage is better on a trailer vs motorhome. We would have to sell both to get a motorhome and then have to get a tow vehicle. That seems silly. There are many other reasons I won’t go in to. We have been looking since Covid to change but nothing has caught our eye as we really wanted an under 30ft to get into state campgrounds. There just has been a void in small well designed fifth wheel campers. So we fixed up our camper( new roof, new shades, new awnings, etc) This year however 2 GD models have caught our eye - the 260rd and the 270bn. Leaning more toward the 270bn. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on either of these? In looking into grand design they have impressed us with their build. Tires, brakes, levelers, tire monitoring, quality. It definitely shows. We were wondering about the ABS braking system as we have upgraded to disc brakes on our rig and wouldn’t be without them. Also about the solar package should we upgrade to the 370w

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    260RD...if you need access to the bathroom on the road, the slide blocks it. Otherwise, it is perfect for a couple.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, replaced schwintek parts with Vroom, added 2" lift blocks and taller tires to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GodZilla 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to New To RV'ing, Purchase Questions & General Concerns.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2gowalkabout58 View Post
    This year however 2 GD models have caught our eye - the 260rd and the 270bn. Leaning more toward the 270bn.
    While I think you'd be happy with either, of course, I'm a bit biased towards the 260RD. We love the windows and the layout is great for the three of us (DW & cat). If you're on the road a lot, the 270BN has direct access to both the bedroom and bathroom, but you lose the windows.

The stock brakes have been fine on our coach, but we've found that we prefer camping to driving and so don't travel great distances. As to solar, yes, the 370-watt package is a worthy upgrade if you plan to camp off-grid. Do yourself a favor, and decline the stock battery. Instead put the funds towards at least 200 Ah of LiFePo4 batteries. The 12-volt frig (which we love) uses about 125 Ah per day on its own.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points. Thanks so much for the info. We keep waffling between the two on paper. We need to get into both at the same time I think.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also about the solar package should we upgrade to the 370w
    If you are talking about the factory "options", if you go with the 260RD and the larger fridge, it will come with the 370W solar package. If you go with the 270BN, it has the smaller fridge, and the 370W system is not available to add.

You can, of course, do anything you want to after the fact....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 260RD and are very happy with it for the 2 of us. Lots of light with windows 3 sides. Large diner with 3 seating on 3 sides. As has been mentioned, you need to extend slide to use the bathroom when traveling. Not a problem for us. You may also want to look at the 28RL and the 280RS. Both about 18-24 inches longer than the 260RD. Happy camping in whatever you decide on.
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    We have the 260RD and are very happy with it for the 2 of us. Lots of light with windows 3 sides. Large diner with 3 seating on 3 sides. As has been mentioned, you need to extend slide to use the bathroom when traveling. Not a problem for us. You may also want to look at the 28RL and the 280RS. Both about 18-24 inches longer than the 260RD. Happy camping in whatever you decide on.
    Thanks for your input. We are trying to downsize to 30 feet. The windows and the u shape dinette are winners for us. But the 270 seems to have more storage and the outside grill. I think both would work. I think we will just have to get inside both and see what feels best for us. I am looking forward to a smaller footprint for access into more parks on short notice. We have also begun to pare down our”stuff” and travel lighter.
    Has anyone traveled a lot of miles in there GD rigs. Problems with construction when doing that? I ask because our 2017durango 2500 has been traveling for 40k miles and we have only ever had minor wear and tear issues. Going by all the chatter everywhere I think we have been very fortunate.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost 20k miles towing it and the only big expensive problem has been the marginal schwintek slide, which we replaced last month with Vroom system.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, replaced schwintek parts with Vroom, added 2" lift blocks and taller tires to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GodZilla 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There just has been a void in small well designed fifth wheel campers. So we fixed up our camper( new roof, new shades, new awnings, etc) This year however 2 GD models have caught our eye - the 260rd and the 270bn. Leaning more toward the 270bn. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on either of these?
    I have a 273MK which is almost identical to the 270bn. The size and floorplan have been perfect for our use. Great trailer.

Not being able to access the bathroom with the slide retracted would be a deal breaker for me. Not so for others. If it were not for that issue I may have strongly considered the 260rd.

@huntr70 makes some good points as to the 260rd, but I'm not so sure there is as much storage area in the living area as with the 270bn.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast