User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion camera issues and possible replacement

In February, 2023, we purchased our new 2022 Reflection 315 RLTS. Among other things already installed was a Furrion backup camera. That camera was supposed to use our iPhones as a monitor. It never really worked, so when we were back in January of this year for the final work before the warranty was out I asked them to check the camera. It seems that the original camera not only didn't work on our trailer, it didn't work on anyone's trailer. Furrion authorized a replacement that uses a monitor on the dash. It worked just fine - for six weeks or so. Twice, while driving through Phoenix it seemed to freeze up and cut out, but then came back and worked just fine. We got back to The Ranch in mid-February and the system was working fine.

The last couple of weeks prior to heading out the monitor would sometimes come on by itself. Of course, with no camera connected, it couldn't show anything. When we hooked up last week to head out there was nothing. I tried pairing it without success. Someone mentioned that there is a button on the bottom of the camera that must be pushed, and I found a reference to that in what passes for a manual. This afternoon I climbed up to push that button while Jo Ann was in the truck to push the pairing button. Nothing.

At this point we've owned the trailer for about 16 months and have had a working backup camera for a little over a month. I've had it with Furrion junk. I'll replace it with something better. Is the Halovision still the top pick? I'm thinking that if I'm going to get something better maybe I should spring for a two-camera system and have one camera on the bed cap pointed down at the hitch area. The truck's backup camera works well enough to get me close and Jo Ann talks me in the last couple of inches, but that camera goes off as soon as I shift out of reverse.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many on this forum have the Halovision and it works well for them. We have the AMTIFO, it has worked well for us and is much less expensive than the Halovision. The AMTIFO is designed to replace the Furrion camera and should be an easy install.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera freezing in urban areas and around military bases is normal. The signal disappears because the amount of radio signals in the area is more powerful than the signal from your camera. a less expensive option would be to get an antenna extension from the camera and mount it on the roof of the trailer.
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now the monitor says there is NO signal from the camera. Blue light on the camera is on.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Right now the monitor says there is NO signal from the camera. Blue light on the camera is on.
    Furrion is lippert so it wouldnt surprise me if the new one is dead.

Troubleshooting, check the antennas and make sure they are all tight, change their angle? I would try moving the display closer to the camera, while parked, and see if it is a weak signal issue.
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard back from Furrion/Lippert today. I need to take the camera down and plug it into the same power cord as the monitor. Then it should sync. I'll try that today. If that doesn't work then I'll replace it with a better system.

Soundsailor, I'll check out the one you suggested.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This afternoon I got out the ladder and climbed up to see what I could figure out. First I had Jo Ann move the monitor as far out as possible, but that didn't work. Then I tried pulling the camera so I could plug it into the monitor like Furrion/Lippert suggested. No plug. I was able to verify that the camera power connections are tight.

At this point I'm going to just wait until we get to Escapade. If Furrion/Lippert is there and wants to look at it, fine. If not, I'm in the market for another camera. While it would be great to buy one at Escapade (lower taxes), we may have to wait until we get to Nebraska and order one.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told Furrion/Lippert that there was no connection to plug the camera into the monitor's power supply. I also said that, if they had someone at Escapade who was willing to look at it, that would be great. Otherwise I'll just toss the Furrion system and replace it with something else. I immediately got a request for a picture of the camera. I sent them a picture of the monitor and the camera mounted on the trailer. I'm not going to get out a ladder and take the camera down again just to take a picture.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    I told Furrion/Lippert that there was no connection to plug the camera into the monitor's power supply. I also said that, if they had someone at Escapade who was willing to look at it, that would be great. Otherwise I'll just toss the Furrion system and replace it with something else. I immediately got a request for a picture of the camera. I sent them a picture of the monitor and the camera mounted on the trailer. I'm not going to get out a ladder and take the camera down again just to take a picture.
    My Furrion camera system came with a "Y" pigtail to connect both the camera and monitor to a usb power supply.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Amtiflo, too. We’ve been using it for about 10 months now and the only issue so far was a blown fuse (in the TV) that caused our running lights to stop working. I’m not sure what caused the fuse to blow but it’s working again (in the driveway) and we’re taking a 300 mile trip Thursday, so we’ll see if it was a fluke or there’s a deeper cause.

It works perfectly with the prewiring for the Furion. You take a plate off the back of the trailer, plug the camera in and mount it to the trailer (4 screws), then plug your receiver/screen in to a cigarette lighter plug and it works when you turn your headlights on. It’s super simple.
    2022 Grand Design 22MLE
    2023 Toyota Tundra SR5, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.5 bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast