Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum or Group for Driving to Alaska Information

My wife nor I have ever had a Facebook account, or any other social media account for that matter; unless this forum is considered social media, in which case it's all I have. But now I'm wondering if I need to try something. We are currently enroute to Alaska, taking one month to get there, two months or so in Alaska, another month on our way back down through Canada (after Tuktoyaktuk).

The problem is, tomorrow we will arrive in Banff for 5 days and I've just learned that the Alaska Highway is closed at Fort Nelson due to fires/smoke. I've been sitting here for a few hours finding websites and apps to figure out where to get info on closures and such. Now I'm feeling like a forum or group on Facebook that may have other people traveling to the same place and sharing updates/info might be helpful. But like the question I posted recently about the usefulness of CB radios - I'm not sure if there would be value in signing up for something or not? Any advice?

In the meantime, I'm just scouring 511 apps for each province and Alaska to figure out how to proceed with an alternate route and cancelling our Muncho Lake reservation for this portion of the trip.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    My wife nor I have ever had a Facebook account, or any other social media account for that matter; unless this forum is considered social media, in which case it's all I have. But now I'm wondering if I need to try something. We are currently enroute to Alaska, taking one month to get there, two months or so in Alaska, another month on our way back down through Canada (after Tuktoyaktuk).

The problem is, tomorrow we will arrive in Banff for 5 days and I've just learned that the Alaska Highway is closed at Fort Nelson due to fires/smoke. I've been sitting here for a few hours finding websites and apps to figure out where to get info on closures and such. Now I'm feeling like a forum or group on Facebook that may have other people traveling to the same place and sharing updates/info might be helpful. But like the question I posted recently about the usefulness of CB radios - I'm not sure if there would be value in signing up for something or not? Any advice?

In the meantime, I'm just scouring 511 apps for each province and Alaska to figure out how to proceed with an alternate route and cancelling our Muncho Lake reservation for this portion of the trip.
    Hwy 97 (Alaska hwy) is indeed closed at Fort Nelson. Information on the closure can be requested at 250-774-6956 or on DriveBC.
    On another note, you know the road to Tuk is gravel, right? Also be prepared for snow in Banff! https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-49_metric_e.html

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yep, I found DriveBC now so that will help for BC. Yukon and Alaska have 511 apps I found. I am aware of the road to Tuk so we'll check in Dawson City before heading up this fall. We ran to Calgary for parts yesterday and I saw the mountain tops in the distance...very white. Should be an adventure going to Banff and beyond. Guess we'll be winging it for the next several months. This trip has been on our list since we first got married 35 years ago. It'll take a lot to cancel it now. As long as there's a road to get around we'll figure it out I reckon.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW says to join the “RVing to Alaska - The Original” Facebook group. You will need to send a request to join. She monitors this almost daily, and they have a whole section on the road closure.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I traveled to Alaska last year and the face book group was very helpful. We also met several people from the group along our travels. We had several detours on our way back last year due to fires. Safe travels
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad, please keep us posted on your adventures. We're planning a similar trip for next year (delayed from this year). Our general plan is to cross into Canada sometime around Memorial Day and be back in South Dakota before Labor Day. We've been told that this early in the season roads are sometimes closed due to snow. I guess fires can happen anytime.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yep, I found DriveBC now so that will help for BC. Yukon and Alaska have 511 apps I found. I am aware of the road to Tuk so we'll check in Dawson City before heading up this fall. We ran to Calgary for parts yesterday and I saw the mountain tops in the distance...very white. Should be an adventure going to Banff and beyond. Guess we'll be winging it for the next several months. This trip has been on our list since we first got married 35 years ago. It'll take a lot to cancel it now. As long as there's a road to get around we'll figure it out I reckon.
    Roads are fine, you can go through dease lake up to Watson lake. Hwy 97 has no estimated opening now, but I would expect it to be open next week or so with rhe cold rainy weather we are having. Last I heard they were sending crews up to resart infrastructue.
    2022 Momentum 399

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    DW says to join the “RVing to Alaska - The Original” Facebook group. You will need to send a request to join. She monitors this almost daily, and they have a whole section on the road closure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post
    My wife and I traveled to Alaska last year and the face book group was very helpful. We also met several people from the group along our travels. We had several detours on our way back last year due to fires. Safe travels
    Thanks for your responses. I'll look more into Facebook. I'm hesitant to sign up for it because I'm so bad a social media. Just have a hard time keeping up on it. And based on what everyone I know shares with me, there's so much politics and religion it's hard to stay engaged. But I guess if I find that to be the case I can always close the account.
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Chad, please keep us posted on your adventures. We're planning a similar trip for next year (delayed from this year). Our general plan is to cross into Canada sometime around Memorial Day and be back in South Dakota before Labor Day. We've been told that this early in the season roads are sometimes closed due to snow. I guess fires can happen anytime.
    Last year and this year could be exceptions regarding spring coming so early so not sure about typical years. We had been monitoring temps for the areas we would be traveling to mitigate running into weather as best we could. So far, no problems. We entered Canada through Portal, ND and took 10 days to get to Banff. No issues whatsoever on the roads. Been traveling around the mountains here for a couple of days (staying until the 27th) without any issues. The mountain tops are snow covered for sure, which is beautiful. But the roads are clear and except for snow in the woods or mostly frozen Lake Louise, it hasn't been an issue at all. Overnight temps along the drive so far have remained at or near freezing to 40ish. Fingers crossed more of the same as we head north.
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinspace View Post
    Roads are fine, you can go through dease lake up to Watson lake. Hwy 97 has no estimated opening now, but I would expect it to be open next week or so with rhe cold rainy weather we are having. Last I heard they were sending crews up to resart infrastructue.
    Thanks @Lostinspace. I couldn't find any reference to a Dease Lake so not sure where that is or which route it is on? We will stay in Banff now until May 27, and if things change drastically where they are able to open the road by the time we leave, we will continue with our plans to drive the Alaska Hwy up. Otherwise, I am planning to take what appears to be the only other route up, which is 37 to Watson Lake. However, we had to cancel Muncho Lake as we didn't leave enough days between stays to get there taking the longer way around. We will likely now see about taking that route on our return trip.
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast