User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Connection?

What is this? The black and two red wires on the right go to the battery on the tongue. I want to put a new lithium battery in the front compartment directly above this. Is it as simple as pulling the wires from the battery, drilling holes in the front compartment and moving the wiring there? I believe the wires will be long enough to do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Wiring.jpg  
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    What is this? The black and two red wires on the right go to the battery on the tongue. I want to put a new lithium battery in the front compartment directly above this. Is it as simple as pulling the wires from the battery, drilling holes in the front compartment and moving the wiring there? I believe the wires will be long enough to do this.
    It looks like a buss bar. Is that where your 7-pin connector comes in?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Remove the wires from existing battery and reroute to your new battery. Take pictures of the existing battery connections just in case.

Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a battery monitor in the storage compartment? That looks like a shunt to me.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Do you have a battery monitor in the storage compartment? That looks like a shunt to me.
    No, but there is one inside the trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but there is one inside the trailer.
    Okay, then that's your shunt for the battery monitor. Agree with others that if you are just replacing the battery then reroute the wires to the place you want the battery. If you add inverter and such later, you'll need to redo wiring with correct sizing. Otherwise, you'll be good to go for now.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Okay, then that's your shunt for the battery monitor. Agree with others that if you are just replacing the battery then reroute the wires to the place you want the battery. If you add inverter and such later, you'll need to redo wiring with correct sizing. Otherwise, you'll be good to go for now.
    If I do decide to add an inverter next year it will be right beside the battery. I think I can handle the battery swap-out, but not the inverter install.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I do decide to add an inverter next year it will be right beside the battery. I think I can handle the battery swap-out, but not the inverter install.
    YouTube and other sources such as DIY Solar Forum are your friends. You'll definitely be able to do it yourself with some research and learning. A few years ago I didn't know a thing about solar, Lithium (iron phosphate vs ion), inverters, etc. Now I've installed my entire system myself and built 4 280AH LFP batteries. It took a lot of research and note taking but since I retired 5 years ago, I found I had the time to invest in it. So, depending on your situation and your level of interest, you can do it if you decide you want to. I absolutely loved the learning process. Good luck and safe travels.
    Chad