User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice Towing A 29' Imagine with a 2022 2500HD

Purchasing a used 29' 2023 Imagine. I will be towing with a 2022 2500HD, 6.6L Gas, Z-71 Pkg. Dealer is pushing a Load Distibuting and Anti Sway hitch. I have not towed it yet.
    Do I need this? Getting conflicting advice.
    If needed, can I purchase a hitch elsewhere and install myself? I am a Do It Your Self guy.
    FYI:First Camper Trailer.... Long time trailer puller.
    Thanks in advance.

Been looking at Camper Forums. This looks like a good one!
    Last edited by Czechmark; 05-24-2024 at 05:28 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechmark View Post
    Purchasing a used 29' 2023 Imagine. I will be towing with a 2022 2500HD, 6.6L Gas, Z-71 Pkg. Dealer is pushing a Load Distibuting and Anti Sway hitch. I have not towed it yet.
    If needed, can one purchase a hitch elsewhere and install myself? I am a Do It Your Self guy.
    Thanks in advance.

A 29’ trailer will be a good load for your truck, a weight distributing hitch (WDH) would be a good idea. Assuming your truck has a factory installed class 4 hitch then the WDH install is super easy, you can easily install it with simple tools. The hardest part will be bolting the brackets to the trailer a frame. You can also purchase the WDH anywhere you like, online or any RV parts store.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with @Bungy but would add that in fact if you do have it installed by a dealer or anyone else, you follow the installation manual and check everything yourself. Dealerships are fairly notorious for not setting them up correctly. In fact, they often don't even set it up with your actual truck. I'm sure in their minds they have done so many they can do it with their eyes closed. Anyways, don't hesitate to buy it and install it yourself. It is not rocket science buy you do need to follow the installation manual to do it correctly.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If needed, can I purchase a hitch elsewhere and install myself? I am a Do It Your Self guy.
    Thanks in advance.

You can buy the WDH online for half to maybe three quarters of what the dealer will charge for the same hitch. Setting it up is not hard, and any questions, there will be a number of people on this forum that has the same WDH that will answer your questions.

An FYI, a number of people will tell you, you do not need one, I am one who says while that may be true, having one does make the towing experience a lot nicer and better controlled. Even though Chevy says you do not need one, when I was towing my last trailer, which was a TT, I could tell the difference, especially in high winds.

Your truck has a anti-sway control system built into it, that system is a reactive system, like anti-skid brakes, and will only activate when things have already started going to *****. A properly set up WDH should prevent you from getting to that point.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    You can buy the WDH online for half to maybe three quarters of what the dealer will charge for the same hitch. Setting it up is not hard, and any questions, there will be a number of people on this forum that has the same WDH that will answer your questions.

An FYI, a number of people will tell you, you do not need one, I am one who says while that may be true, having one does make the towing experience a lot nicer and better controlled. Even though Chevy says you do not need one, when I was towing my last trailer, which was a TT, I could tell the difference, especially in high winds.

Your truck has a anti-sway control system built into it, that system is a reactive system, like anti-skid brakes, and will only activate when things have already started going to *****. A properly set up WDH should prevent you from getting to that point.
    Good point. I tried with and without WDH after purchasing our F350. I'll go without if I'm just moving it around a campground between sites but otherwise, it's always on. You can definitely do it without but it's so much better with it.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance.

Buy a WD hitch online from a reputable seller such as eTrailer, etc. (I wouldn't trust Amazon or EBay on this) and install/setup it up yourself if the have the ability. High probability a dealer won't do it correctly.
    Then, drive the truck/trailer without the spring bars on the hitch on a familiar stretch of road, during decent weather.
    Next, install/engage the spring bars and drive the same stretch of road in similar weather conditions.
    Whichever feels better to you is the way to go.
    You can always leave the bars off a WD hitch if you choose to, but you can't add them to a regular drawbar/ball hitch later on down the road.

My preference is to not utilize the spring bars, for a variety of reasons.
    Good luck and happy camping.
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks in advance.

I basically have the same set up as you. I opted for the WDH but probably didn't/don't need it. At most I might be getting a little added anti-sway. I don't mind the little added work and for short distance towing I don't always put the bars on. I think I'd be comfortable towing long distance without the WDH but I know I'm very confident towing anywhere with it. It's basically your call either way.
    Last edited by BillinSC; 06-01-2024 at 09:53 PM.
    Bill and Nancy from SC
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my WDH before I picked up my trailer. The spring bar brackets were easy to install.....dialing in the WDH will take some time. I would recommend weighing your trailer on the way home to get a good baseline. This will help you dial in the WDH. As you start loading your trailer, you may need to weigh it to see any difference.

I usually weigh my trailer on the way out on our trip....we have a Pilot super close.....plus it is some security or peace of mind should something happen while on the road.

Congratulations!
    2023 GD Imagine XLS 23 LDE
    2021 Toyota Tundra CM 4x4 5.7L
    Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS)
    Curt Tru-Track 4P (8k) WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the Reese Steady Flex for 4 years with 60k plus of towing and love it.
    Easy to put on compared to others but let the dealer do it and as others have said check behind them.
    Iíve always used Etrailer for advice and products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast