User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gas versus Diesel - Maintenance.

I often come across folks who say they prefer a gas engine because it is less maintenance (or maybe easier to maintain?) than a diesel engine. Every time I see this I keep wondering what it is about a gas engine that is easier to maintain.

Both require regular fuel and oil filter replacement (pretty much on the same schedule). The diesel requires regular filling of DEF. Is that considered more maintenance? And a diesel has 2 batteries - more maintenance?

Gasses require a spark plug replacement, but that's at 100k. Does that make it less or more maintenance?

Color me - "I don't get it" on this subject. I guess I don't consider having use DEF or having 2 batteries as more maintenance. Or maybe because one has to pour more oil into a diesel? I suppose that can cost more. But easier maintenance? - still not getting it.

I'm not trying to compare weights, towing capacities, power or anything else but maintenance.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have forgot more fuel filters on the diesel, but not a deal breaker. The costs are higher than a gasser though.
    I've had both over the last 3 decades...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, replaced schwintek parts with Vroom, added 2" lift blocks and taller tires to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GodZilla 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I often come across folks who say they prefer a gas engine because it is less maintenance (or maybe easier to maintain?) than a diesel engine. Every time I see this I keep wondering what it is about a gas engine that is easier to maintain.

Both require regular fuel and oil filter replacement (pretty much on the same schedule). The diesel requires regular filling of DEF. Is that considered more maintenance? And a diesel has 2 batteries - more maintenance?

Gasses require a spark plug replacement, but that's at 100k. Does that make it less or more maintenance?

Color me - "I don't get it" on this subject. I guess I don't consider having use DEF or having 2 batteries as more maintenance. Or maybe because one has to pour more oil into a diesel? I suppose that can cost more. But easier maintenance? - still not getting it.

I'm not trying to compare weights, towing capacities, power or anything else but maintenance.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. I've had diesels since 2006 and haven't really felt that the maintenance was more. I had no spark plugs to change, I had one fuel filter to change, and oil and oil filter to change. The new truck has 3 fuel filters rather than 1, but not sure where the evidence is for more maintenance. Just a perception I guess.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only real difference I can see is the diesel has a DPF that needs replaced at around 100K.
    Fluid in differentials, transfer cases, coolant etc. needs replaced on pretty much the same schedule as a gasser, just may take more.
    Fuel additives are at the owners discretion.
    Diesel fuel is a bit more in my area but is that maintenance...naw.
    As for fuel pumps grenading an engine, that's repair.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Not really "maintenance" but, for us, we chose a gas truck because, when we're traveling and wind up in some dinky way-out-in-the-boonies town with a problem, chances are there is someone who is familiar with working on a gas engine (and access to parts) and not so much knowledgeable about diesels.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Not really "maintenance" but, for us, we chose a gas truck because, when we're traveling and wind up in some dinky way-out-in-the-boonies town with a problem, chances are there is someone who is familiar with working on a gas engine (and access to parts) and not so much knowledgeable about diesels.
    I would say that would have been true years ago, but with all the electronics on the new engines, both gas and diesel, it may not be true so much anymore.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel oil changes are more expensive - more oil, and two filters - but you don't have to change as often. I've puled my current trailer with a gas 6.4 liter Hemi, and now my current CTD and I'd never go back. Don't miss that gas gauge noticeably moving as the engine revs to 5k to get over an overpass.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two oil filters? I have a 2018 Ram, and AFAIK, there's only one. But oil changes aren't too bad: I get Mobil Delvac for about $12/gallon, so a oil change is about $50 total, including the filter. I just can't bring myself to follow the oil change guidelines, too old and set in my ways I guess.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go 1 year/15,000 miles for my Cummins. Not so with a 6.4 Hemi. It takes 2 fuel filters once a year. Zero for the 6.4 Hemi. I get 11.5+ with the Cummins towing. Not so with the Hemi (8.5-9) When diesel is the same as gas I come out ahead in fuel savings. Over 5000 miles that's a savings of $500. It goes both ways when diesel is higher or lower.
    The big advantage to a diesel is the longer time between fuel stops and the more relaxed towing when in the mtns or just cruising down the freeway at 65 mph. The EB is worth the cost of admission if you tow in the mtns a lot.
    You can buy the filters for $135-140 or so. I have the dealer do the oil changes because my driveway is new and I don't want a spill on it. And it's not that much more than when I'd do it myself. I do my own fuel filters as it's pretty easy sorta.
    I just enjoy towing with a diesel a lot more than a gasser living in the PNW. Some people pay for lots of bling in a truck. I don't see the difference in where you spend the money if it's what you want.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve had both gas and diesel and diesel maintenance is more expensive for sure.
    But for towing you cant beat diesel.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast