User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

white knuckle driving

I am towing a 265BH 33' long GVWR is 7995 with my 2019 F150 with a 2.7 Echo boost. The motor does just fine, I wonder if the truck is heavy enough to tow the camper safely though. The dealer said it would tow it fine. I feel like the truck moves around a lot when towing. Any thoughts?

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you driven a fair amount towing a trailer? You might check the tires and tire pressure. Soft tires will lead to a "squishy" ride feeling. Is your tongue weight sufficient to help with trailer sway?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
    I am towing a 265BH 33' long GVWR is 7995 with my 2019 F150 with a 2.7 Echo boost. The motor does just fine, I wonder if the truck is heavy enough to tow the camper safely though. The dealer said it would tow it fine. I feel like the truck moves around a lot when towing. Any thoughts?
    Look into an aftermarket rear sway bar kit like the Hellwig 7743. Added one to my 13 F150 SB SCREW 6.2 and it really does take all the sway out - turned the nanny electronic sway off it worked so well. They can burn up rear brakes bad by always running the antilocks when sway occurs.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not towed a large trailer like this. First timer. I will check the tires.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the track pro sway bar set up. Still feels a bit squirrely. hopefully I will get used to it.

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not towed a large trailer like this. First timer. I will check the tires.
    Sometimes, depending on the trim level of the truck as well as it's expected duty, the factory tires will be a P Metric tire instead of a LT or Light Truck tire. The P Metric tires, if they are on your truck will also affect the truck's stability in a negative manner. Make sure you have the LT tires on the truck and make sure that they are properly inflated.

Also, there is no question that you need to have a Weight Distribution Hitch for towing that trailer, especially with a F150 truck.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weigh it. as Hoppy said, you may need more tongue weight. And as everybody said, check to see if you have LT tires.
    But, again, weigh it & see where it sits.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the track pro sway bar set up. Still feels a bit squirrely. hopefully I will get used to it.
    Another quick point.... we put a bike rack with 2 mountain bicycles on our RV rear 2" hitch. Made our trailer feel light in the front end (squirley) when pulling. If you have any rearward extra weight added on the rear hitch, compensate for it with similar weight in the pass thru storage area too.

Also try to stow as much camping cargo over the axles as possible. We typically put our cooler, extra clothes, groceries, etc over the axles (for us, in the kitchen in front of the OEM hutch) when trailering.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what had already been said...get the trailer truck and trailer weighed. Then compare the numbers to the specs for the truck and see where you are.

Based soley upon the specs for the trailer, it would not be surprise that your tongue weight ends up weighing around 1000 lbs. If sway is your issue I'd look into a Hensley or ProPride hitch, expensive yes, but they work great. We tow our Imagine 2670mk with one and never had any sway issues.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, there is true sway, and then there is wiggle, bouncing, porpoising, truck suck, wind pushes and many other disconcerting things.
    True sway is only due to not having enough tongue weight. When driving straight, note if the rear of the trailer is appearing in one of your side view mirrors, and then moves to peek out in the other side mirror, and repeats. That is the beginning of true sway. Too high speed, wind pushes, rough roads, etc. can all quickly exacerbate it into a life threatening disaster. More tongue weight is the solution. A high end ($$$) hitch like the Hensley or Propride can prevent it. All other hitches dampen it, the better to the point where it is very unlikely to happen - but if there is enough energy (way too high a speed), the sway tendency can still overcome the dampening.
    A heavier truck can reduce the rest to a greater or lesser extent, but that may not be an option. Things to try:
    Air up your tires to the max listed on the sidewalls. The ride will get bumpy, but it stiffens the sidewalls, so you get less wiggle.
    Make sure your WDH is adjusted correctly - too little or too much on the front wheels can dramatically affect the ride. Look up the towing information for your truck from the Manufacturer. Ford gives great advice on how to set the hitch.
    Evaluate getting new tires for the truck with much stiffer sidewalls.
    Make sure the trailer is level or slightly nose down when towing.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast