User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The_Mit_375RE

Unhappy Sail away, Sail away Sail, away. Awning damage

It was a sunny day no clouds and no wind. Enjoying the weekend camping till I saw on the other side of the campground lake dust blowing up in an instance Halloween decorations blowing over. I ran to my Solitude to roll up the awnings before it hit to late. The 45 MPH gust of wind hit and both awnings went up above the roof and bent backwards. After about a minute the wind reside and the damage was done. Luckily we got the awning back in (didn’t want to be like Robin Williams in RV driving home with awning out) but arms bent, awning bar to arm bent and screws at angle. Now I was told by GD they don’t recommend awning tie downs said it can damage the awning, the arm and motor. Most of the time if windy I don’t have them out. This is was freak of nature but to prevent this from happening again I want to reach out to the group. Do others use tie downs without a problem?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is breezy and I MUST have it out, I will put a tie down strap around the ends to something solid below just tight enough to keep it from flying up.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When, where does is say GD doesn't recommend tie downs on the awning? We use a shade screen if our patio side faces the sun, is that against recommendations too? Thanks, we've bought a set of tie downs for the mildly windy, breezy days but haven't used them yet.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The_Mit_375RE
    I called them about it, they told me they don't advise using them. Warranty issue I guess.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see if tie downs are over tightened it maybe a problem but if done carefully it should be fine, IMHO.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

The_Mit_375RE
    I agree as well

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tie ours down all the time . . . but never in anything approaching that kind of wind. A bouncing awning will put a lot more shock loads into all parts of the system, than the steady tension of tie downs. Ours always gets rolled up if the gusts get past about 15 mph.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same as Cate & Rob - if the wind picks up, I undo the tie downs and roll up the awning. I like to use the sun awning also so like keeping the awning out.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

The_Mit_375RE
    Thanks everyone for your input appreciate it. I would never want my awning out at 15 or more. But that day was no wind and then a powerful gust of wind, I don't even know if the straps would have prevented damage, probably would have pulled the stakes out. But thank you I will get the straps for next season.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that happened. My awnings are so high on the 375re, it would be a big PIA to attach tiedowns. I bring mine in anytime I am not close by.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast