User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter Trips When Keurig CoffeeMaker Used

We had a 2000 Watt inverter installed in our brand new 2024 Imagine 17MKE. It was pre-wired at the factory, with the inverter installed at the dealership. The first time we used the TV, the inverter tripped and would not reset. Back to the dealership we went. They said they installed a new plug on the inverter. Then we went on a one night camping trip a few days ago. In the morn, we turned on the Keurig Mini Plus Coffeemaker. As soon as I touched the brew button, the inverter made several loud beeps and tripped. What happened??

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Electrical Systems and Wiring.

The TV is a relatively low-draw appliance. The Keurig has a resistive heating element which, along with toasters, etc., are high-draw appliances.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full-timed for 9 years in a Reflection 337RLS and Solitude 310GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a pretty stout battery and wiring to handle a load like that. It draws 1470W, which is going to be well over 100A from the battery. Itís highly likely the dealer didnít upgrade the wiring to handle that kind of load, so you see a voltage dip and the inverter alarms.. Dealers in general are a poor choice for upgrades like that.

In general, itís not very practical to run resistive heating items from an inverter unless you have a significant battery bank and a means to recharge it.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 06-12-2024 at 07:56 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of this great info!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It takes a pretty stout battery and wiring to handle a load like that. It draws 1470W, which is going to be well over 100A from the battery. It’s highly likely the dealer didn’t upgrade the wiring to handle that kind of load, so you see a voltage dip and the inverter alarms.. Dealers in general are a poor choice for upgrades like that.

In general, it’s not very practical to run resistive heating items from an inverter unless you have a significant battery bank and a means to recharge it.
    Are you referring to the wire that is left for "inverter prep"? I was going to ask my dealer to install an inverter in my "inverter prep" trailer.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarleneMcGrady View Post
    We had a 2000 Watt inverter installed in our brand new 2024 Imagine 17MKE. It was pre-wired at the factory, with the inverter installed at the dealership. The first time we used the TV, the inverter tripped and would not reset. Back to the dealership we went. They said they installed a new plug on the inverter. Then we went on a one night camping trip a few days ago. In the morn, we turned on the Keurig Mini Plus Coffeemaker. As soon as I touched the brew button, the inverter made several loud beeps and tripped. What happened??
    Too much draw....what else was on 120 when you tried to run the Keurig?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    Are you referring to the wire that is left for "inverter prep"? I was going to ask my dealer to install an inverter in my "inverter prep" trailer.
    Really just not trusting a dealer to do the installation properly in general. I don’t know that the 17MKE has the inverter prep.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use to run an electric frying pan off an inverter circuit. Every time it kicked on our inverter (2000 watt Xantrex XC with tons of battery(s)) would alarm with an overload message but nothing would trip. And if we had the electric coffee pot along with the electric pan on that circuit the inverter alarm would chirp every time the coffee pot cycled to keep the brew hot.

I took the outlet we use for the electric cooking pan off the inverter. Now no more alarms.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It takes a pretty stout battery and wiring to handle a load like that. It draws 1470W, which is going to be well over 100A from the battery. Itís highly likely the dealer didnít upgrade the wiring to handle that kind of load, so you see a voltage dip and the inverter alarms.. Dealers in general are a poor choice for upgrades like that.

In general, itís not very practical to run resistive heating items from an inverter unless you have a significant battery bank and a means to recharge it.
    I need to ask if you have a Lithium (LiFePo4) battery, or a Lead Acid battery powering your Inverter.

In either case, It sounds like your battery is not powerful enough to run your Inverter.

Presuming that your Kureg actually draws 1470 Watts, You would need at least one (probably 2) 100ah Lithium batteries to power that load.

When you upgrade to the Lithium batteries, you need to make certain that your cables running from the batteries to the Inverter are large enough to safely carry the load. Also, once you add the Lithium batteries, be certain to install the appropriate sized fuse as close to the battery as practical to protect the cables and Inverter.

There is a lot of information on batteries and Inverters in the following thread:

Affordable-Solar-How-To-Design-and-Install-an-Affordable-Solar-System

Be sure to click on the embedded links for detailed information on Lithium batteries (LiFePo4).
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 06-13-2024 at 12:15 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The frig....would that be too much 'pull'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast