Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning point hitch maintenance on newer style pin box

The turning point pin box on our trailer is the newer design with the castle nut visible from underneath.
    My question is to anyone who has performed maintenance on the newer style, do I need to remove the top half of the pin box as well? Thanks
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the 4 bolts on the sides and drop the unit. I used my tractor bucket with some lumber to shim it securely to prevent side to side wobble. Easy to lower and set on ground to remove the cotter, castle nut, and pull apart. I could not budge the swivel from new. After applying red grease to the spindle and bearing (very little lube from the factory) the assembly glides by hand. I also lubed the plastic square pad with lithium spray. I am very pleased with the concept, design and performance. I have read on the forum you should not be able to swivel the pin arm by hand. A properly lubed bearing, spindle, friction pad and a tight castle nut with cotter pin in correct hole in spindle, you can move it by hand. If you over torque the castle nut, you will cause the bearing to fail. It will take two people to drop and install without a lift or tractor. I would not attempt support the lower, remove castle nut, bearing and drop, reinstallation will be difficult and cumbersome.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMercman View Post
    Remove the 4 bolts on the sides and drop the unit. I used my tractor bucket with some lumber to shim it securely to prevent side to side wobble. Easy to lower and set on ground to remove the cotter, castle nut, and pull apart. I could not budge the swivel from new. After applying red grease to the spindle and bearing (very little lube from the factory) the assembly glides by hand. I also lubed the plastic square pad with lithium spray. I am very pleased with the concept, design and performance. I have read on the forum you should not be able to swivel the pin arm by hand. A properly lubed bearing, spindle, friction pad and a tight castle nut with cotter pin in correct hole in spindle, you can move it by hand. If you over torque the castle nut, you will cause the bearing to fail. It will take two people to drop and install without a lift or tractor. I would not attempt support the lower, remove castle nut, bearing and drop, reinstallation will be difficult and cumbersome.
    Thanks for the info, but my question was regarding the new design with the castle nuti underneath and not on top of the turning point
    2024 GD Reflection 260RD
    2023 f250 Standard Bed
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
    The turning point pin box on our trailer is the newer design with the castle nut visible from underneath.
    My question is to anyone who has performed maintenance on the newer style, do I need to remove the top half of the pin box as well? Thanks
    With the truck bed length you have, I would move the bolts so it doesn't swivel at all.
    ~Dean

2023 Ford F350 Supercab, 6.8L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"