User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford vs Dodge - Need you're input!!

Ok, I just sold my 2008 Ford F450 and I have to say that I loved that truck! The 6.4l engine was just a little small to be hauling our GD Solitude 377, but it did a great job. Now I'm looking at a 2013 Ford F450 King Ranch with the 440hp 6.7L and 53000 miles, I'm also looking at a 2020 RAM 3500HD dually with the High Output 6.6L I6 with the AISIN tranny with 65000 miles. For me the difference comes down to better turning radius with the F450 being the major difference. I would really like to hear your opinions and reasons between the two! I know there are some ardent RAM owners out there so convince me!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
    Ok, I just sold my 2008 Ford F450 and I have to say that I loved that truck! The 6.4l engine was just a little small to be hauling our GD Solitude 377, but it did a great job. Now I'm looking at a 2013 Ford F450 King Ranch with the 440hp 6.7L and 53000 miles, I'm also looking at a 2020 RAM 3500HD dually with the High Output 6.6L I6 with the AISIN tranny with 65000 miles. For me the difference comes down to better turning radius with the F450 being the major difference. I would really like to hear your opinions and reasons between the two! I know there are some ardent RAM owners out there so convince me!

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    I am a RAM owner and I would advise you the 2019 and 2020 RAMs had the bad CP4 fuel pump in them. If the CP4 fuel pump goes out, which it will, it contaminates the engine fuel delivery system with tiny metal particles, it's a very expensive and time consuming job to replace the entire engine fuel delivery system.
    It was that only RAM dealerships could repair the fuel system because RAM would not provide the fuel pump to outside repair shops. I don't know if its still that way or not. I did hear that there was a retrofit for the 2019/2020 RAMs to convert back to the CP3 fuel pump, but I have no first had knowledge of this.

I would do a lot of research before I bought a 2019/2020 RAM. The CP3 fuel pump is the good one.

I will tell you our 2018 RAM dually cummins diesel (CP3 fuel pump) with AISIN transmission now has well over 100K miles and is still running strong and has never had a problem so far even with the emission and the DEF system.

Yes I do hear that the Ford F450 turning radius is better than RAM. I guess I just have gotten use to driving our RAM .
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-18-2024 at 07:08 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Fulltimers since July 2020, Escapee's, FMCA Members
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings! Thanks for the comment. Is there any way to determine if the RAM I'm looking at has the CP4 fuel pump...without having to pull the tank?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven is correct that all 2019 and I believe most 2020 Ram's have the CP4 fuel pump, but Ram is changing them out no cost to the customer. I don't know if this is true for second owners or not.

BUT all the Fords have the CP4 fuel pump in them and there is class action suit against them and Chevy for the pump. I have a 2019 Ram HO and had the pump changed out free of charge. I've had all 3 brands but as of now I will stick with Ram.

Check with the seller to see if that pump has been changed.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how many but there are reports of dodge truck frames breaking in two right behind the cab. On top of that dodge is not doing anything for the people with a problem.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...I did go out and check the VIN of the RAM I'm looking at to see about any recalls, and the only one listed for that VIN is about the tailgate latch being misaligned. I get that doesn't really mean that this one doesn't have the CP4, but I don't know how to determine that for sure without having the tank pulled and the dealership will not do that for me...unless I buy the truck

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The change to the CP3 from the CP4 on the 2019/20 RAM is a recall, so if it hasn't been done yet, you should have no problem getting it done.

You have an interesting "problem", having that turning radius is great, RAM, like all the others measure turns in blocks. I would look at the payload, and if you don't mind the turn radius, I would go for the newer truck.

I had a 2019 RAM 3500 SRW with the HO, and it was a good truck. Had the EGR valve go out, and be warned, that truck only likes factory OEM air filters. Great chance (took me two times) that even a good air filter will get a code. Although you will be out of warranty, I found that trying to get service at the dealership took a lot of time, they are usually backed up, or parts are hard to come by.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 06-18-2024 at 08:30 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fargo all the way!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...I did go out and check the VIN of the RAM I'm looking at to see about any recalls, and the only one listed for that VIN is about the tailgate latch being misaligned. I get that doesn't really mean that this one doesn't have the CP4, but I don't know how to determine that for sure without having the tank pulled and the dealership will not do that for me...unless I buy the truck
    The CP4 is a recall, if it doesn't show up on the VIN, it has been done. The pump is located on the engine, not in the tank. There are pictures out there on what it looks like.

I am surprised that the dealer didn't just run the VIN and see if the pump has been done.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 06-18-2024 at 08:29 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    There is a visual difference in the pump housings. to determine if the recall was performed already. A quick visual check should be all that is needed. I attached a quick YouTube video on a pump side by side review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1knMt0kR8

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast