Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bypassing Lippert ABS

First post but Iíve been a member and learning a lot since August 2023. Iíve run into an issue with my 2023 Reflection 278BH with Lippert ABS where itís constantly jerking the truck at highway speeds. Even on flat smooth highway, it almost feels like the brakes are slightly engaging every 10-20 seconds which causes the camper to jerk back on the truck. I tried removing the fuse on the trucks trailer brakes system and it felt slightly better. At a light when I let my foot of the brake it feels like the trailer still has brakes. Iím guessing thatís the ABS since itís powered off the 12v camper battery. Iím looking for a way to bypass the ABS to see if zero brakes fixes the issue.

At first, I thought it was off balance (we usually travel with minimal water) so tried traveling with a full tank of fresh water but no change. My camper has a 2Ē lift from simcoespring.com that was installed back in November. No issues after the install and we have nearly 4k miles since the lift.

Iím open to ideas and suggestions. This issue just started last month and itís driving me nuts.

Thanks for your input,
    James
    2023 GD Reflection 278BH | 540 watts of solar | 300ah Lithium | 2" Simcoe lift
    2020 RAM 3500 Cummins HO/Aisin | Anderson Ultimate | Sumo Springs
    2005 Ram 2500 Cummins HO/48RE - 4Sale

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Memmer99 View Post
    First post but I’ve been a member and learning a lot since August 2023. I’ve run into an issue with my 2023 Reflection 278BH with Lippert ABS where it’s constantly jerking the truck at highway speeds. Even on flat smooth highway, it almost feels like the brakes are slightly engaging every 10-20 seconds which causes the camper to jerk back on the truck. I tried removing the fuse on the trucks trailer brakes system and it felt slightly better. At a light when I let my foot of the brake it feels like the trailer still has brakes. I’m guessing that’s the ABS since it’s powered off the 12v camper battery. I’m looking for a way to bypass the ABS to see if zero brakes fixes the issue.

At first, I thought it was off balance (we usually travel with minimal water) so tried traveling with a full tank of fresh water but no change. My camper has a 2” lift from simcoespring.com that was installed back in November. No issues after the install and we have nearly 4k miles since the lift.

I’m open to ideas and suggestions. This issue just started last month and it’s driving me nuts.

Thanks for your input,
    James
    Just a guess but if you can get to the ABS controller and unplug the power cable going to it, that might disable the braking system long enough for you to test and see if the problem goes away. A diagram for the ABS shows the controller on the right side of the RV midway close to the right front tire, inside the frame. You'll have to loosen or pull back the coroplast to get to it. Looks like there are 5 cables plugged into the controller. 4 that go to the individual wheels. One cable coming from the front of the RV, power and tow vehicle brake signal input, this is the one I would try to disconnect first.

Careful testing with no brakes on the trailer.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Fulltimers since July 2020, Escapee's, FMCA Members
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not familiar with the new ABS brakes on trailers but could you turn the trucks brake controller all the way down and see if that makes a difference? Would that limit the amount of force the ABS can apply?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Just a guess but if you can get to the ABS controller and unplug the power cable going to it, that might disable the braking system long enough for you to test and see if the problem goes away. A diagram for the ABS shows the controller on the right side of the RV midway close to the right front tire, inside the frame. You'll have to loosen or pull back the coroplast to get to it. Looks like there are 5 cables plugged into the controller. 4 that go to the individual wheels. One cable coming from the front of the RV, power and tow vehicle brake signal input, this is the one I would try to disconnect first.

Careful testing with no brakes on the trailer.
    Thanks, I have a copy of the diagram and troubleshooting manual you posted in the Solitude section. I need to sync an Android device and see if there are any trouble codes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Not familiar with the new ABS brakes on trailers but could you turn the trucks brake controller all the way down and see if that makes a difference? Would that limit the amount of force the ABS can apply?
    I actually tried removing the trucks brake controller fuse but I still feel some brakes being applied at a stop light. I even unplugged the 7 pin and drove for a mile but still feel a slight amount of brakes at a light.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually tried removing the trucks brake controller fuse but I still feel some brakes being applied at a stop light. I even unplugged the 7 pin and drove for a mile but still feel a slight amount of brakes at a light.
    Oh yep, I see I missed that. Interesting issue. Will be curious to find out what the solution and cause turns out to be.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try pulling the break away lanyard and then reinstalling the pin?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Did you try pulling the break away lanyard and then reinstalling the pin?
    Yes, I tried that as well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the case it almost sounds like the RV brakes are adjusted too tight or the brake shoe actuating arm(s) with the magnet attached is sticking or stuck and are not releasing the brake shoes from the drum. I think I would start to think about taking the drums off and checking each wheel to see if one or more are sticking .
    Steve & Tami Cass - Fulltimers since July 2020, Escapee's, FMCA Members
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    If that's the case it almost sounds like the RV brakes are adjusted too tight or the brake shoe actuating arm(s) with the magnet attached is sticking or stuck and are not releasing the brake shoes from the drum. I think I would start to think about taking the drums off and checking each wheel to see if one or more are sticking .
    You may be on to something...
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast