Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time selling trailer - private sale

All,
    Good afternoon. I am starting to get some serious inquiries on the 21BHE I am selling and wanted to know how others have handled the transaction.

1) I talked to someone today who is interested. They indicated if they liked it after seeing it, they would want to take it overnight to a local campground, hook it up, and leave locked there over night to ensure everything works. This makes me nervous and wondered if this is normal? If it is, how do you ensure they don't disappear with your trailer?

2) How do you handle the actual financial transaction?

3) Are there any weird nuances I need to know about (we live in TX).

Thank you.
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just me, but no way would I allow someone to take my trailer for an overnight trip/stay. If something would happen, you'd be SOL. When we sold ours, the guy used a cashier's check from his credit union. We met him there while he picked up the check, and exchanged title for the check.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 110% with Hoopy Frood on his comments. There's no way, no how, no chance!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree! There is NO WAY I would let them take the trailer without completing the sale. If they want to look it over carefully they can do that where it's sitting.
    I've sold 2 and both were cash deals. They gave me cash, I gave them the title, a Bill of Sale, and I turned in the transfer of liability to the DMV.
    Maybe a bit careful but that's how I felt about it.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would let them take it only after they had purchased it. I do not think it unreasonable to ask it to be fully set up with 30 or 50 amp service to ensure everything works.

Cash or cashiers check. Give them bill of sale and signed title. I just purchased one and took most of it as a cashier's check and some of it as cash. I wanted to have some wiggle room to haggle if I was not happy with it. I was happy and paid exactly what they were asking and still thought I got a great deal.
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
    2022 Ford F250 7.3L gasser 3.55
    ProPride 3P v2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I had the same concerns. We didn't discuss logistics (i.e. would he take it overnight or have me take it, set it up, lock it up, and come back with him) so when I meet with him tomorrow to show it, I'll see if it comes up.

Thank you.
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also be concerned on the insurance side. If something was to happen, you're the one on the hook.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly why RV inspections have become so popular. A good inspector will test every system and document the results.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I sell something I always make sure that they understand that the sale is "as is". Minor sales I just mention it before I take the money (cash, Venmo, whatever), major sale it is written on the receipt or sales contract. Not trying to cheat anyone, just making sure that everyone is on the same page. I started this because about 30 years ago I sold a used RV then was contacted 4 months later by an angry buyer because the water pump didn't work. I never used the water pump since we lived in the RV for a summer working at a national park in a full hookup campground.
    Most people know to expect "as is" when buying used, but it can't hurt to be sure.
    Good luck with your sale.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm 110% with Hoopy Frood on his comments. There's no way, no how, no chance!
    I'm in the NO WAY JOSE group also. Show it set up and plugged in to 30 or 50 amp along with water.
    Because a guy didn't get the title changed on a truck I sold a long time back I now never let any vehicle or rv leave my possession with the license plates on it. Also if they bring actual cash, check for counterfeit bills
    Anson & Donna
    2021 397TH
    2012 Chevy CC LB 4WD Duramax
    AirSafe 25K with Holland Binkley Head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast