Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just place the order for a 388M

Good morning interwebs.

I haven't been on the forum as a user until now, i had lurked and poked about issues with the GD388m's before we decided to order one.

We are full timers and have been living out of a Forest River Work and Play 40RLS for the past year. While its a great unit for what it was intended to be, full timing in it is not its ideal use. She is meant to be a weekend or couple of week max stay unit. I love the FR WP40RLS for its HUGE payload capacity (nearly 10,000lbs) and huge garage, but we need a bit more living space, so out with the two loaded Kennedy tool boxes, piles of spare buggy parts, air compressor and other assorted things that are not required but nice to have along on the road. The last time we weighed it, we were just under the 21000 GVWR, at 20,980 on the cat scales. She's heavy.

I hope to learn, and of course share in modifications and repairs (hopefully few of these) from all of you veteran owners.

Anyway, i look forward to hearing and reading up on the upgrades and modifications.

RJT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum RJT and congrats on the new Momentum!

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome RJTimmer to our group! We have had ours GD product for two years with no issues and can't imagine owning any other brand!! I'm sure you have figured out the customer service is the best in the industry!
    Keep us updated on delivery date and first time out camping!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

mehall1087
    I have a 2015 388M. I pretty well have it figured out now. Lot of trial and errors for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club. I've had my 388 for about 6 months now and am very happy with it. You'll have a few problems (hopefully small ones), but GD does good work. My first few "upgrades" were:

1) add screen door handles (about $15 at CW)
    2) add a shelf for sat box and DVD in LR and BR
    3) add wall tie downs in garage
    4) add a second tube for sewer hose extension
    5) add a 120w portable solar panel for boondocking
    6) add the observation camera (travel alone)
    7) add a bar across bunk so it can be used for storage

My first few "repairs" were:
    1) reset refrig limit breaker (need magnet)
    2) adjust refrig igniter (they set the gap too small at factory)
    3) reverse awning switch (it was wired/place backwards)
    4) replace furrion audio when it stopped
    5) replace Kantleak cartridge
    6) replace curb side propane regulator
    7) adjust brakes

It hasn't been back to a dealer yet. I've got about 5000 miles on it and will be full timing this winter. I guess some people would consider my list a lot of problems, but I think of it as pretty reasonable.

I haven't adjusted the happi-jack as it was placed about 2 inches high. This works for me, but something you might check in PDI as it appears to be a more than one time error. It means the ladder for the bunk doesn't reach the ground; nor do the feet on the sofa.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcomes all!

I'm sure we will have issues, but I am sure its nothing we wont be able to resolve.
    We had a few issues with our WP, but all in all a solid unit. I like to believe that our 2 trips in one week to the manufactures factory to do our own inspections helped out a great deal. we saw the frame pull in, and be floored, two days later we watched them seal and install windows, wiring, plumbing, and some interior. not sure they enjoyed our presence, but I sure enjoyed being on that end for once. (I'm a Mechanical Engineer/Installation Manager for an automation company, you know, they guy who the can grab the neck of when things go wrong during construction/installation of their shiny multi million dollar new toy)
    I too have heard horror stories regarding the Kantleak, but what the heck, a cold shower never hurt anyone, much.....and if its an issue, i already have the 5 valve fix info from 2825Matheny...

Charlesandkate
    Welcome RJ! 388 is a nice one! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Post pics when you have some!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the family!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took delivery of our 388M this past Saturday, the first two nights in it have been great, only a few issues.... some small, one awfully large.

Issues:
    Ordered with out Graphics - Delivered with...... this is a big deal, as the graphics are installed prior to any of the fittings that mount in the wall. (doors, windows, baggage closures) - GD and our dealer are setting up an appointment to have them removed.

Drip Rail at main awning front edge - pulling out and away from the coach body when the awnings retracts fully, this issue is amplified by the seam in the drip rail with in an inch of the end of the awing - the dealership will replace drip edge and move the seam when the graphics are removed.

Bedroom window whistles in high wind - not sure about remedy at this time

Brakes don't work worth a ____, likely need adjusting. - Dealer will adjust while in for graphics and drip edge.

Other than these issues, we love the 388m, and hope to be on our way to the "biggest little city in the world" in a few weeks. im sure other things will come up in the next few weeks and months, but already the fit and feel is way better than the WPF40RLS (work&play) we traded in on the Momentum.
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB-CTD-DRW
    2016 Momentum 388M
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    1997 TJ Buggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, all of the issues were taken care of.... Sort of.... The breakers are still am issue, even after I adjusted them further than the dealer did.

Any how. We are on our way to Reno, and stopped for the first night away from "home" in Eureka MO..... Now on to OKC o wait out the snow in TX and NM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB-CTD-DRW
    2016 Momentum 388M
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    1997 TJ Buggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast