Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running/Clearance Light Wiring and wiring in a rear view observation camera

I purchased a RearViewSaftey wireless monitor and observation camera so that I can see what is behind me going down the road. **I know, GD sells the Furrion monitor & camera. But I found some short comings in the Furrion system (1) it is a 4.2" monitor screen (too small) I wanted a 7"x4" monitor screen (2) I want to be able to add and view more that one camera on my monitor (Furrion...No , limited to 1 camera input.) RearViewSaftey can have up to 4 camera inputs and you can view any combo of cameras on the monitor.

OK, wired up an mounted the monitor in the truck cab today. Was pretty simple.

Then I started on the install of the camera. Took off the factory supplied Furrion rear to blank mount. (That is where I will mount the RearViewSaftey camera. So, all I need to do is wire the 12 volt camera leads to the runnig/Clearance light right above where I will mount the camera....simple enough. I pulled out the clearance light and it has it 12volt wires(2) attached to a white with a green stripe wire And the other clearance light wire attached to an all white wire. Which of those wires is + positive/hot and which one is ground.

I am thinking the all/solid white wire must be ground and the white with green stripe must be + positive 12 volts. Does anyone know for sure??

I had to stop today. but will meter those 2 clearance light wires out tomorrow.

Thanks

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AlanEdie,

As difficult as it is to believe, Grand Design does not have wiring diagrams !
    I quizzed their whole production staff about this on the plant tour at the Rally . . . and I am finally convinced that this is true .
    GD often (but not always) uses white for ground. This will be easy to confirm with a volt meter and I would do that rather than guessing that the white wire is "probably" ground.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use your VOM to determine. If you turn it to volts dc and take the black and red leads and touch what you believe to be a pair, ie one positive and one negative and your VOM display reads -12 volts then reverse the leads and it should either read +12 or just 12. That tells you when it read -12 that you had the positive lead on the negative or ground wire.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

another Todd
    If you hook up to the clearance lights, the camera will only work when the lights are on. GD should have already supplied wires to hook up the camera, so look around for them.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates on your installation Alan?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hooked camera up to the clearance lights. That works just fine. From what I have heard about the Furion factory supplied wire....that only works when in reverse....not what I wanted

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanEdie View Post
    I hooked camera up to the clearance lights. That works just fine. From what I have heard about the Furion factory supplied wire....that only works when in reverse....not what I wanted
    The Furrion set up is hot all the time.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS