Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Too hot in the bedroom

Picked up our Imagine 2800BH last Friday and went camping...LOVE IT. Went to bed that night, set the thermostat to 62, heat felt great. Then got really hot in there. I opened the door and went to turn thermostat down and realized that the rest of the coach was quite a bit cooler, so I went to the bathroom and it was really cold in there. I realized that there was not a duct in the bathroom and figured just to leave the door open in the bathroom and bedroom and go back to bed. Woke up again the next time the heater came on, sweating. So I then set a fan blowing out of the bedroom, still didn't help. In the morning I started looking around. The other vents are blowing air, although not as hot as the bedroom is, then when I opened the cabinet under the sink, I noticed that there was very hot air blowing out in there...the heater housing was so hot that it burned my fingers when I touched it. I looked and felt around and it seems that the ducts are all secured to the housing, but the housing itself is not sealed. At one point I was going to block the bedroom vent so we could sleep the next night but my wife wondered if it would catch fire because it was so hot. I don't think that it would catch fire, but I think that the heater it getting way too hot itself, and really concerns me. Our previous trailer had the same heater, but never noticed the housing itself to get that hot, and we've used it in much cooler temperatures...although the kids did complain that their bunks were cold. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I take it back to the dealer? My wife joked that I shouldn't keep my chocolate or drinking stuff under the sink. I almost jokingly told her that we needed to only have glass bottles for the alcohol and that she couldn't keep her wine there, but decided not worry her more.
    Last edited by Dave and Cindy; 10-22-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the further away from the furnace the cooler the air would be. Unless there was a blockage in the duct. If you have the floor vent, you can get the vent covers that have an adjustment, or damper. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-4-x-8-/69215
    Jeff & Lee

Bodie, and Orion, Yellow, and Chocolate Labs
    Nyx, Dachshund
    2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SRW 4WD
    2016 Momentum 348M #1966

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave & Cindy,

Obviously none of us have experience with Imagine.
    Our Reflection has a good (not perfect) distribution of heat and I have to think GD has designed the Imagine to be the same. Obviously something is wrong. Their installation and attachment of ductwork does not always live up to their "design intent". Before you start blocking off ducts to try and make this work, give the dealer one try and then contact GD direct. If you need contact info, just ask here.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link for the vent covers, I had hoped that they existed, but hadn't looked yet. Won't be blocking or restricting anything until I talk to GD as the very hot furnace still bothers me. I did post this also in the Tech corner and Janice did respond, haven't been called back yet, so I'll give them a call tomorrow. Dealer was good with us and the PDI went well, although I did show the Tech a few things that he didn't know because I had the time to read up and research before we took delivery and the fact that the Imagine series is brand new to them too. Thank you for the help.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave and Cindy; 10-22-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took our Imagine on our first trip last weekend. The wife and I noticed the same thing. Except didn't go so far as to touch the furnace. But thought it was strange about no vent in the bathroom. My kids also didn't say anything about being cold. But boy I do love the trailer. Don't see many Grand Designs up here in Michigan yet.

Gary

hitchedup21
    Dave and Cindy... We have had the same issue in our Imagine. Never checked the furnace but did notice how hot it gets under the cabinets but that due to all the duct being under there. I stopped at camping world on our second trip and picked up a replacement vent with a damper. It was easy to replace and we have to keep it fully closed and it still gets a bit warm in there. Also if you take off the vent the company's Web site is on the back and you can order an exact replacement with a damper for like $5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Wondering why they didn't insulate the furnace. After reading this thread I picked up an adjustable vent when I bought the Imagine. Turned on the heat and I t was hot. Installed the new vent and it helped. So hot under the cabinets you could never store food in them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did purchase the adjustable vent but the heat under the cabinet still bothers me. I dropped it back off at my dealer yesterday for them to check it out. I did mention that it seemed that the whole unit needs to be sealed up, they said they'll check it out and mentioned that one of the ducts may have come off also. I'll keep you updated with the outcome.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I reported this same problem with our 2014 Reflection 337. We would sweat in the bedroom while the sofa area was a good 10-15 degrees cooler. Was told not to restrict the bedroom air flow so we never really figured out a solution. It is kinda double edge sword. You need the heater on to prevent the tanks from freezing but temperature variations throughout the coach makes it difficult, at best, to balance heat and comfort. We used an electric heater at night as long as the temp did not get below 32 degrees. When the temp did get below freezing we would set the thermostat at 60 which would make the bedroom 70 or so and I would open a bedroom window. I wish there was a way to turn on the fan of the propane heater and leave the heater function off.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone telling me not to restrict air flow but not providing an alternate solution would be unacceptable.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast