Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bedroom heat

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bedroom heat

Picked up last Friday and went camping...LOVE IT. Went to bed that night, set the thermostat to 62, heat felt great. Then got really hot in there. I opened the door and went to turn thermostat down and realized that the rest of the coach was quite a bit cooler, so I went to the bathroom and it was really cold in there. I realized that there was not a duct in the bathroom and figured just to leave the door open in the bathroom and bedroom and go back to bed. Woke up again the next time the heater came on, sweating. So I then set a fan blowing out of the bedroom, still didn't help. In the morning I started looking around. The other vents are blowing air, although not as hot as the bedroom is, then when I opened the cabinet under the sink, I noticed that there was very hot air blowing out in there...the heater housing was so hot that it burned my fingers when I touched it. I looked and felt around and it seems that the ducts are all secured to the housing, but the housing itself is not sealed. At one point I was going to block the bedroom vent so we could sleep the next night but my wife wondered if it would catch fire because it was so hot. I don't think that it would catch fire, but I think that the heater it getting way too hot itself, and really concerns me. Our previous trailer had the same heater, but never noticed the housing itself to get that hot, and we've used it in much cooler temperatures...although the kids did complain that their bunks were cold. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I take it back to the dealer? My wife joked that I shouldn't keep my chocolate or drinking stuff under the sink. I almost jokingly told her that we needed to only have glass bottles for the alcohol and that she couldn't keep her wine there, but decided not worry her more. Imagine 2800BH
    Last edited by Dave and Cindy; 10-22-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added model

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Cindy View Post
    Picked up last Friday and went camping...LOVE IT. Went to bed that night, set the thermostat to 62, heat felt great. Then got really hot in there. I opened the door and went to turn thermostat down and realized that the rest of the coach was quite a bit cooler, so I went to the bathroom and it was really cold in there. I realized that there was not a duct in the bathroom and figured just to leave the door open in the bathroom and bedroom and go back to bed. Woke up again the next time the heater came on, sweating. So I then set a fan blowing out of the bedroom, still didn't help. In the morning I started looking around. The other vents are blowing air, although not as hot as the bedroom is, then when I opened the cabinet under the sink, I noticed that there was very hot air blowing out in there...the heater housing was so hot that it burned my fingers when I touched it. I looked and felt around and it seems that the ducts are all secured to the housing, but the housing itself is not sealed. At one point I was going to block the bedroom vent so we could sleep the next night but my wife wondered if it would catch fire because it was so hot. I don't think that it would catch fire, but I think that the heater it getting way too hot itself, and really concerns me. Our previous trailer had the same heater, but never noticed the housing itself to get that hot, and we've used it in much cooler temperatures...although the kids did complain that their bunks were cold. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I take it back to the dealer? My wife joked that I shouldn't keep my chocolate or drinking stuff under the sink. I almost jokingly told her that we needed to only have glass bottles for the alcohol and that she couldn't keep her wine there, but decided not worry her more. Imagine 2800BH
    Hi @Dave and Cindy,

Thanks for the update -- I've asked our Customer Support to contact you. Or if it more convenient, please feel free to contact them at (574) 825-9679.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update---I called GD customer service last Friday and left a message with my concerns. Dave at GD customer service called me back a couple of hours later. I explained the issue of the bedroom being too hot and that the furnace also seemed to be to hot itself. Originally he told me that the furnace manufacturer advised not to restrict the vents, and that he would work on a solution and call me back on Monday. He did call Monday and told me that he was still working on it, and didn't have a solution yet but would continue working on it. He called me today (on his cell phone since their land lines are down!) and said that he had spoke with the engineering department and furnace manufacturer and was told that there is enough air flow through the rest of the duct work that would allow the installation of an adjustable vent/dampener without causing issues. He even told me that if I sent him the receipt for the vent, he would reimburse me! I told him that was not necessary since they are cheap. They do not have an Imagine available to work with right now, and he will be meeting with engineering tomorrow to discuss the furnace and compartment/cabinetry being too hot, and they will work on a solution that "may require that I take it to the dealership for modification and possibly venting the furnace itself". He will let me know the solution when they figure it out. OUTSTANDING customer service! Thanks Dave at GDCS! I will keep you posted with the progress and solution. Also posted in the Imagine HVAC section.

FB Partner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I was at the grand design factory today to do the tour as I am hoping to purchase the imagine 2800bh by xmas. When I brought up this concern of the heat under the sink and how hot the bedroom gets to Paul our factory guide he said he would look into it. It is a huge concern of mine as I live in michigan ava plan on camping later into the fall season and it seems crazy that gd would not fix this problem asap as so many people are having the same issue. Also it is a bit if a safety concern as under the sink I normally keep cleaners, towels etc. Hi Janice, just wondering if grand design has come up with a solution to this problem? Other people that I have spoke to about this on fb said they just bring a space heater and don't have the furnace heating much at all-which just seems crazy to me. What's the point in having a furnace in a tt if u can't use it to heat properly! Hoping this will b resolved before I purchase or at least a good solution. Again would appreciate any help with this or even good solution to b able to redirect the air under sink and b able to get normal temp in the bedroom also a way of getting heat in the bathroom would b great too. When I was at the factory it doesn't look like any changes were made at all, and worried that if I purchase one now then how I would have this issue fixed if GD does eventually fix it. Thanks Janice I would appreciate any input or solution to this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray, to address your one question, I thought the same thing you did about space heaters until someone I know, who RVs a lot, learned me something. If you're in an RV park, electricity is usually part of the fee you're paying. So you're not spending extra money to heat with electric. If you use the furnace, you're using YOUR propane. Made sense to me.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

FB Partner
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Ray, to address your one question, I thought the same thing you did about space heaters until someone I know, who RVs a lot, learned me something. If you're in an RV park, electricity is usually part of the fee you're paying. So you're not spending extra money to heat with electric. If you use the furnace, you're using YOUR propane. Made sense to me.
    Yeah true thanks, funny you said that someone else just said the same thing to me haha. I'm not saying space heaters r bad I would probably get one and do wot other people have done I do see the logic in that. I'm just concerned about the heat situation and wondering what solution there is r if any. If there is not that's ok it's not a deal breaker for me at all just would b great if there was ;-)