Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck mod: adding extra gas tanks

Traversing I-70 through Colorado's mountains, we learned that we have to pre-plan our gas ups. There's too much distance between truck stops, and not all regular stations are navigable with our Momentum 380TH. So we're looking at increasing the diesel capacity on our pickup. (unfortunately, the tanks on the 380TH are gasoline only.)

We have a short bed dually with a sliding hitch and rigid tonneau cover, so the standard in-bed aux tanks don't work for us. Replacing the spare tire with an extra tank doesn't appeal, as we'd have to come up with some place to carry the truck's spare. We saw a Titan sidekick, which sits in the bed but on the side and out of the way of the hitch, but it only carries an extra 15 gallons. That's better than nothing, but we were hoping for more.

Our payload capacity and GCVWR on the truck can handle increased fuel weight. Ideas other than the Sidekick?
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titan also makes one that replaces your stock fuel tank underneath. I think it increases your tank up to 60 gallons. Check out their web site for more information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they have one for the 2014 Mega Cab yet. They have one for the 2013+ CC/LB at https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ram-...-2015-7030313/ that's a 55 gallon unit, which would fit ours. It's what I'd use if we ever have money again.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain in terms of getting jammed up getting fuel 'cause you're almost dry....happened to us in Maryland a few years ago. I'd had enough of having to deal with it so purchased a 60 gal tank/toolbox combo from Northern Tool. Best thing I've bought to make life more comfortable. The top sits just below the truck bed rails so I would believe a tonneau cover would work. It's plumbed into the fuel filler, super easy. Now we can go 12 hours towing without stopping (ya, my wife's real happy about that!)
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check ATI Tank in FL, I got a 46 gallon diesel tank (AUX46R) that fits in front of my slider hitch and goes across the bed, it is plumbed into the filler. I used a solenoid valve so I can control it from my up-fitter switch in the cab. Works great we just did a 6000 mile adventure out west and back to Indiana. It fits below my bed cover also. Purchased from Plastic-mart.com

Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Titan XXL tank in place of my stock 26 gallon tank. Doubled my capacity to 52 gallons.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD.
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several makes and models of bed auxiliary tanks that will fit under the bed rails behind the cab. Some specifically designed for short beds although they do not carry a lot of extra fuel (@ 35-40 gallons).

Also having a 380TH I thought about converting the second fuel tank (not gennie tank) to diesel and using the onboard pump to fill the truck with a hose extension. I am going with an auxiliary bed tank/box combo but the idea might work for you.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

another Todd
    I just ordered (last week) a 38 gallon in bed Transfer Flow fuel tank and a roll up, aluminum, locking, sliding bed cover. The fuel tank is designed for the sliding bed covers. It is going into my 2015 Ford Superduty, crew cab short bed and will fit in front of my fifth wheel hitch. So, when I unhook the 5th wheel, I simply slide the cover closed and the bed of my truck is hidden and protected, and locked. The 38 gallons of diesel will compliment the stock 26 gallon tank for a total of 64 gallons with probably 60 gallons usable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an tank / tool box combo in my truck. it sits at bed height and increases my capacity to about 70 gallons. I have had it for almost 3 years and cost was right at a thousand. It paid for itself in about 2 years as gas purchase is kept at a minimal charge due to planning our stops so we don't pay more than the minimum cost. Also use fuel points from Kroger and discounts at Pilot / Flying J. Besides enabling us to go off the beaten path, off course etc. to see extra things without back tracking, I can fuel up generator or help that stranded guy on the side of the road. mine was purchased at KSK Marine in Lake Havasu.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd- I also have the F250 super duty, what make and model tank and cover did you buy?
    Thx
    John
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast