User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

towing a fifth wheel

We are upgrading from a Reflection travel trailer to the Reflection Fifth wheel 323 BHTS. We have a 3/4 ton GM Sierra gas engine with tow package. Does anyone have any problems towing with a 3/4 ton truck?

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow a 337RLS fifth wheel with a 2013 Sierra 2500HD (although with the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission) with a crew cab and 6.5' bed. You don't say what year your Sierra is and towing/payload capacities have increased over the years. The gassers also went from a four-speed to six-speed transmission at some point (I don't know what year). We are slightly under the GVWRR (rear axle rating) with about 3,000# tongue weight. The truck does not squat, the rig sits level, and, with the integrated brake controller adjusted correctly, the rig stopped in much less that 40 feet t 20MPH in a Texas vehicle inspection last week. Your experience in the mountains will be quite different from ours, however, due to the gas engine in your truck. I would suggest getting all the numbers for your truck (should be on the weight and capacities sticker on the door frame), weigh the truck at the nearest CAT scales, and do the math. There are many threads on this and other forums on the topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 337 RLS and tow it with a 2013 Chevy 2500HD gas. It is a 6 speed automatic and I have had no trouble towing with it. 6% grade is about the most I have been on up and down with no trouble. We just got back from a 2000 mile trip and my fule mileage was 7.5 mpg. The one thing I will to do is put sefl adjusting brakes on the 337. The 5th wheel sits level on the 2500HD, we did take it to the dealer and hook it up before the purchase. My dealer is only 35 miles away so that was easy to do.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good report Jim. I'm looking at getting a new 2500HD. Don't want a diesel. Currently have an '04 2500HD witht the 8.1 and always wondered how the 6.0 would handle towng. My mileage is just about the same as your's too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Second Chance, Jim & Bonnie, and minnow for your replies. We have done our homework and feel the 2015 3/4 ton Sierra will do the job. But we think we are getting close to the limit and wondering about the performance. We do have mountains in PA. We had no problem towing the 2015 Reflection travel trailer. But the 2016 Reflection fifth wheel is little heavier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2016 337rls. Had it weighed at the rally this summer. 11,700 lbs w/ 2875 lbs pin weight. My truck weighed in at 8125lbs w/ full fuel, hitch & my wife and I. I can easily get 12mpg w/diesel.

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had no problems at all towing my 323 bhs in the mountains of Western North Carolina but my truck is a diesel. I would say you will be ok. It is a noticeable load behind you though! Enjoy
    David,Sherry & Two Grandsons
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #955
    2016 Ram 3500 SRW