User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    camperboy

Anderson ultimate hitch

anybody using the anderson ultimate hitch and a 6 1/2' bed? Does the additional offset of the Anderson hitch offer you 90 degrees or better turns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never measured it but pretty close to 90. I have never needed to pull up because it was to close to hitting. Love the hitch. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

camperboy
    Thanks. Do you have the steel one or the aluminum version?

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the steel rail-mount version in a 2013 2500HD with the 6-1/2' bed. The hitch can be mounted with the ball either slightly in front of, or slightly behind the rear axle (the rails stay mounted in the same, standard location). We had to mount the hitch with the ball slightly behind the axle - but not because of cab clearance. It was because of the back part of the pin box on the trailer coming too close to the side rails of the truck bed on a tight turn. Turning the pin box adapter around as part of the hitch positioning effectively shortens the pin box radius. With the system set up in this manner, the truck won't turn tight enough going forward (full-stop on the steering) to get the front of my 337 close to the back of the cab. Backing up, I can do 85 - 87 degrees... but I'm no semi driver and I'm not about to get into that tight a turn backing! I love the hitch and its lack of chucking and clanging (very quiet).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the gooseneck/steel version and a long bed, but I met someone on the road recently who had the gooseneck/aluminum version on a short bed. He told me he had seen the base lift up from the truck-bed on one end when he went through a sharp dip going in or out of a parking lot. I've never seen that and he seemed to think it had to do with the aluminum model. Can't verify it, but a point of interest. I've been using the hitch for about 18 months and several thousand miles, and I'm very happy with it.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'm using the steel rail-mount version in a 2013 2500HD with the 6-1/2' bed. The hitch can be mounted with the ball either slightly in front of, or slightly behind the rear axle (the rails stay mounted in the same, standard location). We had to mount the hitch with the ball slightly behind the axle - but not because of cab clearance. It was because of the back part of the pin box on the trailer coming too close to the side rails of the truck bed on a tight turn. Turning the pin box adapter around as part of the hitch positioning effectively shortens the pin box radius. With the system set up in this manner, the truck won't turn tight enough going forward (full-stop on the steering) to get the front of my 337 close to the back of the cab. Backing up, I can do 85 - 87 degrees... but I'm no semi driver and I'm not about to get into that tight a turn backing! I love the hitch and its lack of chucking and clanging (very quiet).

Rob
    Hey Rob, what hole do you have your pin in the ball? I have my rail mount Andersen in the standard installation position and DID have a situation when the down plates on the PIN hit my bed rail but I was in a very precarious position (forced to make a U-turn with the truck in a culvert leaning a bit sideways on a back woods country road .... yikes!). Anyway, I ended up lifting the ball 1 hole higher than I previously had it to the 3rd hole. I guess I'm curios because I would rather drop the ball again to the middle hole and try your solution of mounting the pyramid the opposite way.

Thanks

BTW camperboy, I love my Andersen and it is on my 6.5' box and I don't even have mine installed in the offset position but can get a really tight turn without contacting the cab. As Rob said, probably a good 80% plus. Also, I have the steel rail mounted version and have towed well over 15,000 miles with only that one incident.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camper boy, we have the gooseneck, aluminum version, for a short box pickup, have it installed with ball offset all the way to back, ball raised as high as it can go. Easy to remove and weighs very little!! Don't think I can turn 90 degrees, hasn't been an issue in some of the nasty places we go.
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

camperboy
    Thanks for the responses. Anybody else using a short box truck (6.5' bed), Anderson hitch and towing either a 303rls or 27rl?

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Hey Rob, what hole do you have your pin in the ball? I have my rail mount Andersen in the standard installation position and DID have a situation when the down plates on the PIN hit my bed rail but I was in a very precarious position (forced to make a U-turn with the truck in a culvert leaning a bit sideways on a back woods country road .... yikes!). Anyway, I ended up lifting the ball 1 hole higher than I previously had it to the 3rd hole. I guess I'm curios because I would rather drop the ball again to the middle hole and try your solution of mounting the pyramid the opposite way.

Thanks

BTW camperboy, I love my Andersen and it is on my 6.5' box and I don't even have mine installed in the offset position but can get a really tight turn without contacting the cab. As Rob said, probably a good 80% plus. Also, I have the steel rail mounted version and have towed well over 15,000 miles with only that one incident.
    Poppy,

I believe it's in the third hole. I've had "rail rub" twice crossing pretty uneven surfaces - the second time cracked the fiberglass on the underside of the trailer where the bracket for the locking pin handle attaches (it was actually the locking pin handle and bracket that contacted - not the trailer itself). This is because the dealer mounted the bracket too far outboard. When I get to Las Cruces where we're going to spend the holidays with family, I'll get my brother-in-law to help me move the bracket and patch the boo-boo. The clearance at present is about 5-1/2 to 6 inches, but I don't want to raise the ball any higher and get the trailer out of level. That would shift to much weight to the rear axle of the trailer. Why do they build the new trucks so high? (And mine isn't even 4WD!)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015