Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Connections 303RLS

I started opening up the rig today, trying to find a way to run DC power to a couple of places inside. I think I have a handle on a work around for that.

My question revolves around the batteries. The rig came with one, and the dealer installed another before I took delivery. The two are connected, positive to positive, and negative to negative, like I would have expected. However, the power to the rig was off of one battery, not from positive of battery 1 and negative from battery 2. Does it matter?

Now, a minor editorial rant. These batteries require periodic maintenance. The battery boxes and vent tubing require a good deal of effort to access, and one could plan to take about an hour to complete the job. On top of that, the boxes are in no way sealed, plus the vent tubing popped off as soon as I lifted the lid (fastened with what appeared to be electrical tape).
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the batteries are connected, it doesn't matter which battery load is connected to. Current will flow. Battery boxes are a pain in the rear
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an Electrical Engineer, nor a battery expert, however assuming that the articles I've read are correct, how the dealer connected your batteries will work but is not optimal.

Taking both power connections from the same battery results in the battery with the power connections working harder (providing more amps) than the second battery due to the voltage drop in the wiring between battery one and two. When charging the battery with the connections will receive more of the charge than the second battery.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    Not an Electrical Engineer, nor a battery expert, however assuming that the articles I've read are correct, how the dealer connected your batteries will work but is not optimal.

Taking both power connections from the same battery results in the battery with the power connections working harder (providing more amps) than the second battery due to the voltage drop in the wiring between battery one and two. When charging the battery with the connections will receive more of the charge than the second battery.
    Colan, you are technically correct. I doubt if the voltage drop across a short run of heavy battery cable would ever be noticed. If possible it is better to connect to each battery, but I doubt it would make enough difference to worry about
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll probably just switch the cables. I'm also thinking about using a plastic tub, vented, to hold both for easier access.
    2016 303RLS
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, I altered a plastic tub to hold two batteries, vent out the top and vent/drain out the bottom. It will be much easier to service the batteries. The way the dealer jury rigged the second battery hookup leads me to believe that they were not worried about leaking hydrogen.
    2016 303RLS
    Pullrite Superglide 16K