User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    bigjohnintexas

Factory height of Kingpin Box on 380th

I purchased a used 2015 Momentum 380th and am going to pick it up Friday. I'm trying to figure out the height of the kingpin box in relation to the bottom of the neck of the RV so I can set my hitch up before I go pick it up and ensure I have clearance. Currently my hitch (B&W Companion Slider) sits about an inch below the sides of my bed rails in the middle position. (2014 F250 4x4 Crew 6.7) I have airbags installed so I can level it out. If the distance from kingpin plate to bottom of trailer is 6 inches or more I can at least move the trailer to the nearest level parking lot to readjust my hitch for clearance or to level it out if needed.

Anyone willing to get a measurement for me?

Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grats John. Hope you dig your new trailer. I would say set it at the highest setting so you know you will have freeboard.

I just setup a new B&W 3600 companion for Ram OEM pucks and went with the highest setting for a 380TH. Trailer is level and lots of freeboard to bed rails. Top of hitch sits 1/2" below side rails on truck.

Previous RAM 3500 had the B&W 3500 Companion (non slide) in the middle position and was a tad too low. Only had about 5 inches of freeboard and the rear of the extended hitch was dang close to the sideboards on the truck while turning tight.

I can measure tomorrow and post here. I am guessing you want bottom of front cap to top of hitch the pin/fifth wheel plate itself?
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

bigjohnintexas
    Thanks Chris. I can't wait to pick it up; my wife and I are excited to own our first fifth wheel.

I guess I should err on the side of caution and start with the highest setting. I can always lower it. I'm trying to get it as close as possible so that I'm not wrenching in a parking lot somewhere. If I raise it up I'll be level or a little taller than the bed rails.

Bottom of front cap to top of hitch plate is perfect.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John -

It's 11" from bottom of cap to top of hitch plate. Medium setting should get you home safely enough where you can adjust at your leisure.

Good luck with your new trailer! Heck of a rig for a first 5er! Hope you guys have some fun in it soon!

Chris

Edit: damn hard to believe it's really 11" so I went back out tonight and measured again. Yep! Still 11".....
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

bigjohnintexas
    Wow, that's a lot more than I thought it would be as well. I'll leave it where it is and hope I get lucky. Thanks again for the help!

John

C130TN
    You may be fine in the middle position but I've found the pin box to be too high on my 385TH and not enough space between my bed rails on my F450. I like the pin box as far as smoothness but hate that there's only two adjustments, pretty ridiculous. I think the issue is the Rota Flex has hardly any downward angle to it. At least compared to my previous pin box it doesn't and I had no issues with bed rail clearance.

bigjohnintexas
    Update, left the B&W Companion Slider in the middle position (18") and the kingpin box barely clears the bed rails but the trailer sits level. I will look at moving to the top position on the hitch when I get home and raise the kingpin box up one position to keep the trailer level. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will likely want to raise it 3-4 inches, once you have your trailer loaded, it should settle the back of you truck, thus nosing down. this will give you some of bedrail to cone clearance you'll want.
    2012 Ram 3500 CCLB-CTD-DRW
    2016 Momentum 388M
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    1997 TJ Buggy