Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with hitch decision

I just ordered a new Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:
    I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).
    It has to be something I can lift out myself without a hoist.
    It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel.

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would really be appreciated!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GM will be offering a factory under bed prep in starting January 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, anything air ride will be better, but even new tractor trailers ride bad because of the spring rating. Tractor trailers have air suspension on the chassis, air ride cab mounts, and air ride seats, pulling air ride trailers and it still rides rough.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
    GM will be offering a factory under bed prep in starting January 2016.
    This is the part that confuses me. Will any hitch work with this "prep"? It seems like each hitch would need a specific proprietary mounting system. Hard to believe you add the OEM "prep" from GMC and then any ol' hitch will mount to it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2010 Dodge 3500 did not have factory prep. The Pullrite Superglide bracket kit , which I had installed allows for removal of the hitch with 4 pins. My 3500 would have been way overloaded (GVWR) with the 318. Settled for a 303.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W Patriot 16K hitch mounted on rails. The larger Companion hitch mounts to a 2 5/16" trailer ball that can be removed leaving the bed clean. Both B&W's can be broken in half in about 1 second so removing the hitches from the truck bed doesn't break your back. And the quality, fit and finish of American made B&W's cannot be beat.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The larger Companion hitch mounts to a 2 5/16" trailer ball that can be removed leaving the bed clean.
    So do I get a factory under bed hitch mount with my new truck or do I get something from B&W? Which is preferable?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you researched the Anderson Ultimate aluminum version, that mounts on BW turnover ball hitch? Has worked great for u s and is very light!!!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W has a custom under bed frame mounting for the goose neck hitch ball. Many Companion owners go for it.

As Mike above says, Anderson's hitch is another alternative and it also mounts to the in bed goose neck hitch. The Anderson's also very light weight for those that cannot handle the full size hitches--even if they split in half like the B&W's.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not seen a factory prep that won't work with any hitch out there. All of them mount to the frame about the same way. What's above the attachment points is what differs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast