Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Year Plan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 Year Plan

Hello,
    I promised my boss I would work 5 more years before retiring so I've begun my research. I'm one of those guys who has to research everything to the smallest detail, ending up knowing more than any sales guy.
    I've been reading this forum for a month or so (read every post for the last 90 days) and researching 5th wheel trailers for the last 3-4 months. In parallel I've been researching what it would take to haul one of these beasts comfortably. This is my current rig. A 1977 F250 with air bags. The camper is a 2000 Alpenlite (3,600# dry weight). I bought it new from the factory in 1999. It has been a wonderful camper and is still in like new condition but.....the last time we went out my wife had some difficulty climbing up into the cab over bed (it's quite a high step). She also complained that she is getting too old to crawl all over it to make the bed.

So....... after much research I've decided to upgrade to a 2015 Ram 4x4 Laramie with auto leveling (GVWR 14,000, max payload 5,713, max towing 18,550). This forum has been immeasurable help in guidance for selection/specifications. I paid $3,500 back in 1992 for my Ford. Let's just say they're not giving away big trucks nowadays. I'm confident that the truck will handle any trailer that I end up with.

The trailer will have to wait a couple of years until I get used to the hefty truck payment I have narrowed my trailer choices to rear entertainment floorplans like Solitude 305RE. I looked at a Solitude 375RE but I didn't care for the slider and the size was quite intimidating. I also like the DVR Suites brand but I can't get past the floor vents so I've settled on the Grand Design Solitude as the best fit for me.

I hope it's not offensive to post here since I do not have a Solitude yet. If it is out of line could one of the moderators please delete.

Best regards,
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking Ram. I hope my 2007 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins lasts forever. I priced new trucks while at the dealership for something else. Holy cow, they aren't cheap.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows what will be available in 2 years? Floor plans come and go without warning.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's quite true as I see the Grand Design web site says dealer stock only for that model. I also notice that it seems there are quite a few 2015s of that model available but not very many 2016's. I was hoping that maybe they are on order but the dealers haven't received them yet. Time will tell.

Regards,
    Kevin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dealer stock only means that model has been discontinued. Same thing happened to us a few years back as we got ahead of ourselves, planning for retirement and pretty much settling on a floor plan we knew was just perfect. That's why it's good not to get your heart set on any one thing when your purchase timeframe is so far out.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 2003 F250 diesel in 10/2002, and I'm just averaging 10K miles per year.

At that rate, it'll be worn out when I'm 97 years old--far longer than I expect to be towing a fifth wheel trailer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 77 Ford only has 150K original miles on it. I had the transmission and engine rebuilt at about 125K. I average about 3-5K/year the last decade or so. I live only 1 mile from work but I do come home for lunch

Kevin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The floorplan will depend a lot on what you want. I really like the lay out of my 369RL. However, it only sleeps two ( by design!), and now my wife would like more room for grandchildren to go with us. I like the looks of the new 377MBR floorplan, but really don't want to think of the hit I'll take trading in a two year old rig for a new one.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like the rear entertainment layout so my wife can see the TV from the sink/kitchen area. Does the TV in the 369RL unit swivel?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    We like the rear entertainment layout so my wife can see the TV from the sink/kitchen area. Does the TV in the 369RL unit swivel?

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Kevin we also have a 369 RL. The TV does not swivel but I know quite a few people have replaced the mount to one that swivels. Fairly easy mod.
    Good luck in your search. IMHO you won't make a mistake buying a Grand Design product. We love ours more and more every day!!! Best customer service in the industry...
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast