Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using 1/2 ton as tow vehicle?

I am strongly considering buying the 2800BH model. I have a 2015 Nissan Titan 4x4 crew cab with just over 9000 lb towing capacity. I know the weight of the trailer won't be an issue, but I am concerned that the length of the trailer paired with the Titan may cause trailer sway issues. I plan on using a good WD and sway bar system. Is anyone else using the same or similar set up? If so, how please let me know your experience and setup details.
    Thanks in advance.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have opened a can of worms with this question. There are several threads regarding towing capacity vs. GVWR of the tow vehicle. My .02 is that "it is not how much you can tow, but how quickly and easily you can stop while towing". If you take a look at the brakes on any 1/2 ton, and then compare to bigger trucks you will see a noticeable size difference in rotors and brake pads. I also see that your truck is a crew cab, please don't forget to factor in the weight of all occupants and anything you may haul in the bed, along with the tongue weight to see how close (or over) you are on the GVWR.

hitchedup21
    I tow my 2800BH with a half ton Silverado and I don't have any issues as far as sway. One of the best bumper pull travel trailers I have pulled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your trucks payload capacity will determine if the trucks capable or not. You'll be around 7000lbs loaded on the TT, that equates to a 875lb tongue weight. Add another 100lbs for the WD hitch. Factor in the weight of everyone riding in the truck as well as all the gear you're putting in the truck and you could easily be maxed out. Check the door jamb sticker for the trucks Cargo Capacity.
    Power won't be the issue and stopping won't be a problem either. The TT has brakes for it's self.

NachoFirme
    just my 2 cents, i tow with a tundra crewmax and i can pull my 313 no problem, the brakes i have can stop me better than my work trucks f250 brakes while towing a gooseneck, i tow for a living and i know i am over my payload, but i am confident that i can handle the different situations when it comes to towing a large trailer. our trucks are over built on purpose but that doesnt mean they are intended as full time tow rigs, my advise if you have towing experience is stop sooner than you would with a bigger truck and leave larger gaps to allow reaction time, also dont forget that our half tons consume way more gas than a conventional tow rig. so yeah your titan can tow it but be more cautious when towing since not only will you be over payload but if you wreck the insurance might not payout if they know you were over weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitchedup21,
    What type of sway bar / WD system are you using?

Thanks for the feedback!

hitchedup21
    The whole system is made by ez lift. It's the three piece system that has sway control separate on the small style trailer ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

NachoFirme
    Equalizer fastway E2 12k with sway control, have only towed my rig about 45 miles home and that was with the wrong size bars of 10k. I asked the dealer to switch up to 12k since my tongue weight is close to 1000 and the max tongue on the 10k is 1000. So I upgraded to 12k to have some wiggle room on the tongue weight of the hitch.

Before any of the tow nazis come out of the wood work, I realize I'm over my payload. Thanks for your concerns.

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoFirme View Post
    Before any of the tow nazis come out of the wood work, I realize I'm over my payload. Thanks for your concerns.
    Funny. Heil NachoFirme !!!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 2800BH with my Armada. I have towed very similar with my Titan also. I have had Titan and Armada's every 8 months since 2004. Power is not an issue for those. As Tenn22 says as long as you can stop it is no problem. I am using an Equal-i-zer 4-Point SwayControl hitch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast