User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face surge protector 50 amp (running on 30 amp)

Our 303RLS isn't even in Denver yet, but it's off the manufacturing line... waiting for transport...

One of the many items we need is a surge protector (SP)... we're still debating the plug-in vs permanent install units...

If we go with the plug in (50 amp) and have to use an adapter to plug in to the campground's 30 amp outlet, will the SP still function correctly? I'm assuming the order would be: outlet --> 30-to-50 adaptor --> SP--> trailer cable... Or will we need to buy a separate 30 amp SP for those occasions when 50 amp isn't available?

Has anyone installed a hardwired SP in the 303? Where would it be located?

Regarding the hardwired versions...my wife is an electrical designer, she does the electrical layout for commercial buildings -- schools, newspapers (newspapers?!?), office buildings etc. -- so she has access to permanently installed SP's in those examples... would the RV unit we're looking for be similar or the same? I don't mind 'overkill' as she could get a screaming deal on the price of one of these units.

Thanks in advance for your assistance... can't wait to do some 'camping'...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct. Hard wired.Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ivan,

I installed a Progressive Industries 50 amp in our 337. I put it behind the power panel on the floor under the hutch. Did that make sense? It is a tight fit there, but doable. I think it is similar to the 303.

I chose the hardwired as it is always there and can not get stolen off the post. It works with a 30 amp adapter, and a 15/20 amp adapter and even works with my Yamaha generator as long as I short the neutral and ground together. I highly recommend the Progressive Industries units. In this and my previous 5th wheel, progressive Industries units have saved our bacon several times due to low park power.

Best Wishes,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the plug in version of the Progressive Industries 50 amp and it also works with the step down adapter pigtail to 30 amp or even down to 20. If I had purchased this device while at home, I probably would have gone with the built in as well, but there are advantages to the plug in. If it ever needs warranty/service/replacing, that is easy. I always lock it to the post, so this will prevent a "crime of opportunity". A determined thief is going to get it anyway.

There was much discussion on this forum a while back, by electricians and EEs, about the value of having a protection device such as this in a separate location from what it is protecting. (i.e. not in the basement of the RV.) An opinion worth consideration. You can likely find this discussion using the search feature in the upper right corner of this forum.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a PI 50amp hardwired unit in my 303 just behind and to the right of the breaker panel. Tucks in there nicely and then wire for the digital monitor can be run inside the cabinet and out just below the counter top. I can see the monitor with the camper door open so I know prior to flipping the breakers on whether there is a problem at the pedestal.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a brand spankin' new trailer I'm hesitant to cut into the wiring... Gotta protect the warranty doncha know... I like the idea of the SP being in line by default... Once the trailer is a year or two old maybe I'll make the plug in version a "permanent " install with a male and female plug in the wiring loom...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ya don't really "cut into" the wiring. Ya take the power cord loose from a set of connectors and connect them to the surge protection/monitor connectors and add a jumper between the surge protector and the original connectors where the power cord was connected. Due to size of wire it is easier to remove the breaker panel while doing this. Everyone has a different level of ability/knowledge when it comes to working with electricity, so I encourage everyone to stay within their knowledge level.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Retread (and all the other knowledgeable board members) nice to have someone with our particular model as a guiding light...

I can do "simple" electrics... It's kinda hard to figure some things out when we don't even have a trailer to look at...😜