User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shotgunner

Cold weather traveling

We are going to be traveling with our momentum 380 th and the temperature will be in the lower twenties at times was just wondering if we could run our generator while traveling so we can run our furnace is that possible we have never did any winter camping

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never done it, but I wonder if the furnace flame would get blown out by the movement. I would think your RV battery would run the furnace for the length of day's travel, and then you could recharge it at night.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did this off and on while traveling to Florida from Michigan in the wintertime. The furnace stayed running but it didn't heat that well. This was on our previous camper, a Montana Mountaineer, which may have had less insulation than our new Grand Design. We didn't have a generator on that trailer either and the battery worked fine.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vibrations will keep anything from freezing, unless your talking about single digits or less. I would probably run the heater before I left and anytime I stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reference to the battery, I believe that when hooked to the tow vehicle the battery is being charged, as long as the TV is running. Maybe someone else can verify that.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct that the truck should be charging the trailer battery, although some tow vehicles (Fords for sure) need to have a relay and a fuse inserted to make this happen.

On another thread, GD advised against running the furnace with the slides in . . . although I am not really sure why. All air outlets and returns are uncovered (at least on our 303).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GM you need a relay or something hooked up to charge when the key is off. When the trucks running it will charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Correct that the truck should be charging the trailer battery, although some tow vehicles (Fords for sure) need to have a relay and a fuse inserted to make this happen.

On another thread, GD advised against running the furnace with the slides in . . . although I am not really sure why. All air outlets and returns are uncovered (at least on our 303).

Rob
    On our 337, there's a return (maybe two) in the island, which would be pretty well blocked with the slides in.

Dave

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Please excuse my ineptness with electricity in general, but I was under the impression that my truck did charge the house battery when the truck is running. For example, we overnighted without hookups one night other than being hooked up to the truck. In the morning while getting ready to leave, we had several lights on and they became very dim as the battery lost power. I started the truck with the remote start and immediately the lights were bright again. Have I wrongly assumed that my Ford does charge the house battery while running?

Mike
    Mike

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct. Your Ford does provide power and charge the batts when running. What Rob is referring to is the level of "ready to go" the truck is in when purchased. Mine for instance was set up with everything ready for a trailer. Some are not and the relay and/or fuse will have to be added.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast