User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Speed

Utah Bill

Wind Speed

We are currently living in our Momentum 385TH while we build a new home in Hurricane, Utah.
    The wind gusts can be quite strong and my wife is asking at what speed should we start to worry.
    Perhaps spend the night in a hotel. Both tanks are full of gas and we have quite a bit of stuff in the trailer.
    I would say we are fully loaded. I also know it depends on wind direction. Let's assume it is coming straight in from the side.
    Does anyone have any idea at all?

Utah Bill

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops edit issues
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 385 is pretty heavy to start and with the legs down I would imagine winds would have to be very high to become unstable.

Interested in any info you get.

PS if they named your town Hurricane does that mean you get a lot of them? Yikes!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Utah Bill
    We do not get any Hurricanes in Utah. Now we did when we lived in Florida of course.
    The way the cliffs and mountains are arranged there are times when we get wind gusts
    of 30 mph & higher. They are the most frequent this time of year and thus the thread.
    The winds come usually straight from the North or the South and I have the RV parked with the nose
    pointing North. I feel safe but it definitely lets you know when the winds are high and I would like to
    ease my wife's mind.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have a personal policy. It the winds are gusting to 40mph+, we get off the road and park the rig. If the winds are gusting to over 60mph, we leave the rig and get a hotel room.
    I have nothing scientific to base this on, and I suppose I could calculate it, but based on practical experience, this works for us.

Jim

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had 37 MPH sustained winds with some higher gusts all night a few weeks ago while camping in the Texas hill country. We could feel a little movement of the trailer with the gusts but never felt unsafe. In both our stix 'n brix and our RV, I always worry more about large trees - especially pines with their weak root systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Utah Bill
    I have had a gut feeling that somewhere in the 50 to 60 mph range would be the lets go get a room speed. I like your parameters Tucson.
    For us in the area we are in we do not really have to worry about trees. Although that is a very valid point. Thanks to all of you for the input.
    This is a great place to come get advice etc. I would also like to share we are really pleased with our RV. We also shopped and looked at various
    models and just felt the Momentum had a better fit finish and feel. Go Grand Design.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Utah Bill;50974]I have had a gut feeling that somewhere in the 50 to 60 mph range would be the lets go get a room speed.

Utah Bill,

My wife and I had a good long laugh when we read this. We have been in high winds, but not 50 to 60's. If it happens, we will take your advice.

Gordo and Janet Fuchs
    Presently in Oliver Lee SP.
    Alamogordo, NM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI - We live in the Washington Gorge where high winds are common out of the east or west. Trailer is parked facing north so winds hit it broadside. Has to be parked that way to stay clear of trees that may fall.

Had a big wind storm last week and it was a steady 50-60 out of the west and gusted to 70+ most of the day and night. We actually moved into the trailer when the house lost power, fired up the gennie, made popcorn and watched movies all night. Trailer was actually pretty steady although you could feel it bounce a bit during the big hits. Lost several trees around the house and the road was blocked in 3 spots until we cut it open.

We were too dumb to realize we headed in the wrong direction when the wind started blowing hard! long story short it must take a fair deal more than 70mph to topple one of these heavy beasts.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing last week happened to us, lost power, drove 25 miles to 320x spent night and looked at weather station in morning and survived 77ph gust! Trailer very stable!!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast