User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacking up your Trailer

Ok.....How do you jack up your trailer to (1) change a tire or(2) to do a wheel bearing grease job/adjust your brakes or (3) to place on jack stands for longer period storage(get the weight off the tires)

Oh, and Grand Design on my Reflection 313 TT routed a propane gas line right down the kitchen side of the frame beam, so it almost makes it impossible to jack on the frame itself on that side unless you jack on and/or place jack stands on the spring hangers.

(1)For quick tire changing I have seen these 'ramps' like 'Tire-Aid' for changing a flat on a tandem axle trailer......just run one axle/tire up on the ramp and the other tire is off the ground for easy changing. I have some thoughts/reservations about using this method (1) I'm not sure these easy change ramps would work if you have an 'EquaFlex' spring hanger installed between the two axle pair of springs as you may not be able to get the other tire off the ground?

But, if someone has proof that they would work with the 'EquaFlex' spring hanger and won't do any damage......I would buy and use a product like the 'trailer-aid' tire changing ramp.

(2) to do a wheel bearing grease job/adjust your brakes or (3) to place on jack stands for longer period storage(get the weight off the tires) I think you can just use a bottle jack under the axle very near to the wheel and under the 'U' bolts that hold the axle to the spring. *Use some sort of cushioning under the axles and 'U' bolts so that the small bottle jack pad is not directly contacting the axle. * a block of wood, ect...... maybe some rubber, etc attached to the wood to cushion the axle/'U' bolts where you are jacking. *** I don't believe this method would do any damage to the axle or suspension and may be the safest way to jack up the trailer. I really do not think that you are going to do any damage using this method despite what Lippert says.

*****I have tried jacking on the frame itself and this is very difficult with the Equa Flex spring hangers as you need to really jack the trailer frame up very high to get the tire (s) off of the ground.

******And.....Always use Jack Stands with your jack for safety!!!!!!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I just want to remove one wheel I use a bottle jack on the axle between the spring U bolts. I haven't done it with this unit but to raise my old 5th, I used the combination of landing gear and bottle jacks on the frame just behind the wheels and raised the whole unit in stages until the wheels were clear. I then blocked the frame in front and behind the axles but heavy duty axle stands would be easier.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered why they give you a spare tire but no jack and lug wrench or instructions. It would be nice to have lifting points clearly identified. Coming from automotive manufacturing is seems strange.
    Steven and Linda Akers

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've always wondered why they give you a spare tire but no jack and lug wrench or instructions. It would be nice to have lifting points clearly identified. Coming from automotive manufacturing is seems strange.
    Steven, I come from the automotive manufacturing world too and, since this is my first trailer, I also thought lack of jack, wrench and instructions was rather curious . I have come to the conclusion that if you are inclined to change the tire yourself, you already have the tools . . . and if not, the guy you call to do it will have his own tools .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS