Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Winterizing in Arizona

Ginnie and I took a road trip to Maine a couple of weeks ago to see my 86 year old dad. We left the Reflection at home. Before we left, I decided to winterize the 337 even though we're in Tucson. I'm sure glad I did. We had several days of sub-freezing temps, and the thermometer I left inside recorded a low temperature of 26 degrees. So for those of you who are visiting the SW during the winter months, be careful when you leave your rig unattended.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice. For the $10 and 1/2 hour to winterize, it's cheap protection for our expensive trailers.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the great advice. We have our unit parked here at home with a full hook up, this because I am spoiled and when preparing for a trip, we just turn things on. In the summer time I leave the A/C on but set to the highest setting so the unit doesn't bake all the glue and plastics to keep it from peeling and cracking. I will now make sure the heater is on for those super cold nights just to keep pipes from freezing. Thanks again. Good Luck & Be Safe! ! !

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the cold spell, here in Surprise, we were consistently about 9 degrees colder than the reported low in Phoenix. Saw 28 here a couple of mornings.

We kept our Jayco at the house for 5 years, and the sun really beat it up, faded the outside and plastic. The tires (covered) shredded themselves at 5 years. For the new 303, we rent covered parking. The $150/month is acceptable at this point, and certainly cheaper than $100,000 or so for an RV garage.. Covered RV parking is not easy to fine in the NW valley.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people have no idea how cold it gets in the desert at night during the winter. They just see sun-baked dead animal skeletons and cactus on TV. Having lived in the desert most of my life and having worked many a night shift out in the middle of nowhere I have a great appreciation for how cold it gets. But having said that, I've had travel trailers and 5th wheels parked at my house (we're at 2,600 ft elevation here) for many years and never once have I winterized. Maybe I've just been fortunate. I've thought about it a few times, but never had any leaks or other damage from the cold to any of my trailers dating back to the mid-1990s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon, having said that, I too have been rving for about 18 years and kept my unit at my house for the whole time never having an issue. i guess i would be cautious just because i just spent a few more $$$ on a nicer unit. of course the temps between my place and the neighbor fence probably don't get cold enough long enough to worry too much about a freeze that will damage those pipes.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking JFF&KRN nailed it. When it hits 28, that is probably only for an hour or less during the night. Warms up nicely all day, so not a real issue with freezing that quickly for short burst at night. 28 all night and cold next day... now there's a problem. Safe Camping and Happy Holidays to all!
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too agree with this. The desert is unfamiliar to me though. It would be great if someone down there could post an hourly overnight temp graph too see how long the temps do remain below freezing!
    Denis

Quote Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
    I'm thinking JFF&KRN nailed it. When it hits 28, that is probably only for an hour or less during the night. Warms up nicely all day, so not a real issue with freezing that quickly for short burst at night. 28 all night and cold next day... now there's a problem. Safe Camping and Happy Holidays to all!
    2017 Solitude RES 375.
    12- 160w Solar Panels, 800 amps Lithium. Off the grid we go!!
    Ram 3500 DRW