Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire pressure monitoring systems

Going to purchase tire pressure monitoring system any recommendations on which one to buy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Tire Minder system from Minder Research. It works well and great support should you need it.
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like our TST system!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larry&Brenda:

There are a couple of design differences to consider. Some systems have flow through sensors (so you can add air without removing the sensor) and often require that you change to all metal valve stems. TireMinder does not have flow through sensors (but this is not really a problem) and recommends but does not require all metal valve stems. We have been running our TireMinder system with the original valve stems for many thousands of miles with no issues. Sensor batteries need to be changed once per year, but TireMinder has a multi-year free battery replacement program. We had an issue with the signal booster on our system when it was new. TireMinder was all over this and had the new component to us in days. No problems since then. I run 10 sensors, all truck and RV road tires plus the spares. Very happy with this system.

Rob

Edit: Camping World has (had ?) an exclusive on marketing the latest TireMinder 66 hardware. This is their best display, hardware and software. This is what we have.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire Minder A1A for me, zero issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Tireminder here too. I am addicted to checking pressures and temperatures as I travel down the road. We often drive 5 to 8 hours in a stretch and often through very hot country and the security of ready access to that information is comforting.

I did switch to metal stems but only because I was replacing the Westlakes anyway and have always had them on my truck. I also use the signal booster because I was having some signal trouble once I bought this slightly longer trailer and my two rear tires kept giving me "sensor" signals.

I think there's a number of good systems out there so just find one you're happy with and go for it.

As a side note: flow through systems sound really convenient but in the real world I found it to be totally unnecessary. We traveled 11,800 miles on our over 3 month trip this year and I never once had to add as much as a single pound of air to any of my tires!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Poppy,
    While driving in Sedona in early October I had some air temps in the upper 80's and I noticed that my tire temperatures were getting into the 132-133 zone. The alarm is programmed to go off at 158f. I drive 58-62 mph and achieved these temps. I can only imagine what temperatures would achieved in the summer at 120f and driving at 65-70 mph. What is the top temperature that you have seen. It sounds like tires generally run 20f above the current outside air temp which would indicate my tires where running hot for the air temp.
    Thanks
    Denis
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Tireminder here too. I am addicted to checking pressures and temperatures as I travel down the road. We often drive 5 to 8 hours in a stretch and often through very hot country and the security of ready access to that information is comforting.

I did switch to metal stems but only because I was replacing the Westlakes anyway and have always had them on my truck. I also use the signal booster because I was having some signal trouble once I bought this slightly longer trailer and my two rear tires kept giving me "sensor" signals.

I think there's a number of good systems out there so just find one you're happy with and go for it.

As a side note: flow through systems sound really convenient but in the real world I found it to be totally unnecessary. We traveled 11,800 miles on our over 3 month trip this year and I never once had to add as much as a single pound of air to any of my tires!
    2017 Solitude RES 375.
    12- 160w Solar Panels, 800 amps Lithium. Off the grid we go!!
    Ram 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TST - Truck Systems Technologies seems to have a newer wireless monitor that works with multiple cameras. Seems quite interesting.
    Denis
    2017 Solitude RES 375.
    12- 160w Solar Panels, 800 amps Lithium. Off the grid we go!!
    Ram 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good question. I don't recall any temps above the 120s or so but I was mostly looking for big discrepancies rather than individual temps. I looked specifically at tire pressures but only scanned temps to see that they were running about the same side to side. Maybe next time I go out I will log some actual tire air temps and compare those to air temps.

I do remember our first day out from San Diego, August 12th, we drove through the desert all day, through Vegas and all the way up to Cedar City, Utah, 480 miles in the dead of the hot summer and my tire temps never got too bad. Surprised me a bit. I was driving a steady 69 mph.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Val and Denis View Post
    Hi Poppy,
    While driving in Sedona in early October I had some air temps in the upper 80's and I noticed that my tire temperatures were getting into the 132-133 zone. The alarm is programmed to go off at 158f. I drive 58-62 mph and achieved these temps. I can only imagine what temperatures would achieved in the summer at 120f and driving at 65-70 mph. What is the top temperature that you have seen. It sounds like tires generally run 20f above the current outside air temp which would indicate my tires where running hot for the air temp.
    Thanks
    Denis
    I towed a Fuzion toy hauler to East Tennessee back in June with temps in the 90's. I towed at 70 mph, occasionally 75 and my temps stayed in the 115-120 range. I had the Michelin XPS RIBS and will probably replace the Westlakes with the XPS again, really liked the tires. I use the Tireminder also, very happy with it but TST is great also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast