User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing 5th wheel with leveling legs retracted

Greetings;

I've done a search through this forum and not found an answer to my question below, so I'll post it here.

I've got a 350M TH with a 6-poit stabilizer. The user manual indicates I should spray the exposed landing gear rod's with a silicone lubricant every 7 days. I don't want to have to spray lubricant every 7 days while it's stored, so what about using a kingpin stabilizer and keeping all the leveling legs retracted?

The UF19-950001 fifth wheel pin tripod claims it can hold up to 5,000 lbs https://www.etrailer.com/question-52197.html

The published hitch weight of my 350M is 2,900 lbs
    http://www.granddesignrv.com/momentum-specs.php

Does anyone see any issues with storing my 350M using the tripod and keeping the leveling legs retracted?

Thanks

- john tassi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will work if you can find a king pin stabilizer stout enough
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a smart man, but going down the road the king pin and tires support it! Sounds like you have found an adequate support.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do that but I also think that it's fine to store with the front stabilizers down only too. Just make sure that the exposed piswton surface is clean and lubricated when you leave it and check before you retract them when you pick up your unit. If necessary you can cleanup the exposed piston surface with extra fine steel wool before lubricating.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    You could do that but I also think that it's fine to store with the front stabilizers down only too. Just make sure that the exposed piswton surface is clean and lubricated when you leave it and check before you retract them when you pick up your unit. If necessary you can cleanup the exposed piston surface with extra fine steel wool before lubricating.

Dave
    Hi Dave;

Thanks for the reply. Rust or corrosion is exactly what I don't want. Both will cause "pits" in the piston, potentially causing excessive seal ware and fluid loss. My intent is to keep and use my 350M for many years, so I want to do as much as I can early on to prevent premature aging.

I just wanted to ask the seasoned owners on this forum if there was any potential issues with my idea, and what they do. Do you store your unit with only the front stabilizers down?

- jt

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can tell you is how I stored our 305RE for about 5 months this past summer in Oregon. I went to Tractor Supply and bought four of their hydraulic/jack stands and used them to jack up the axels, yes, the axels !!!!!, as near to the springs as possible. Set them back down on the integral jack stands. I used a tripod rated for 5000 lbs. All of the trailer jacks were retracted to the back into their cylinders. When we returned to the unit, it didn't move an inch. The only place I have seen those hydraulic/jack stands is at Tractor Supply. They were about 40 bucks each, well worth the money. As an added precaution, we spread moth balls all over the place.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently at Lakeside RV park
    Livingston, LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    All I can tell you is how I stored our 305RE for about 5 months this past summer in Oregon. I went to Tractor Supply and bought four of their hydraulic/jack stands and used them to jack up the axels, yes, the axels !!!!!, as near to the springs as possible. Set them back down on the integral jack stands. I used a tripod rated for 5000 lbs. All of the trailer jacks were retracted to the back into their cylinders. When we returned to the unit, it didn't move an inch. The only place I have seen those hydraulic/jack stands is at Tractor Supply. They were about 40 bucks each, well worth the money. As an added precaution, we spread moth balls all over the place.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Presently at Lakeside RV park
    Livingston, LA.
    Thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for. Great idea about keeping tires off the ground.