Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heated underbelly? 369RL

Hi,
    So unfortunately I have found myself wintering in the desert in WA. Our temps the last few days have been barely 20°, and nights about 15°, with a feel like of 6. Ughhh. My propane freezes up about a gallon before empty which I understand, but I have always been curious as to whether or not FOR SURE if there is ducting underneath where the wastewater tanks are. The storage area is nice n cozy, so I'm guessing so, but whenever I ask the question I get an "I'm pretty sure". Anyone know for sure?
    Also, the spaces underneath the cabinets and fireplace-ventilation, or also a place to share warmth to the underbelly?(pic attached) I was going to block them off, but thought better of it until I hear a more educated guess.
    Another thing I've learned, just sharing if you find yourself in my position, I have a 3' hose, hooked to my trailer to my outside heated hose. That froze a couple days ago. Quick fix but thanks to a fellow rv'er, I now have a hanging mechanics light in that cubby, with a 60 watt bulb. It keeps everything just warm enough in there[emoji1] Can't wait to get south!!!
    Julie

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Julie and Gage, the BFGS
    ´15 Solitude 369RL
    Aguanga, CA
    Tri Cities, WA

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The space under the cabinet that you have pictured is the cold air return for the furnace. You don't want to block that off.

If you look at the lower picture, in the lower right corner of the hook ups is a vent. That is also a heat duct.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Like I said, I was going to block it but thought better of it. Figured it had a purpose. So is there heat ducted where all the pipes and the tanks are?
    I hadn't noticed that vent in the outside cubby. It didn't do me much good though. It still froze up in there.

Julie and Gage, the BFGS
    ´15 Solitude 369RL
    Aguanga, CA
    Tri Cities, WA

fredandfred
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mueller View Post
    Thanks! Like I said, I was going to block it but thought better of it. Figured it had a purpose. So is there heat ducted where all the pipes and the tanks are?
    I hadn't noticed that vent in the outside cubby. It didn't do me much good though. It still froze up in there.

There is heat duct to the underbelly where all plumbing and the tanks are. Plus you should have tank heaters. I have never had any freeze issues in that area. I do wish my tank drains were there. Mine are under the camper and a pain to get to when there is skirting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we stayed up north, Arizona along the rim and encountered about 19* overnight. never had an issue. the venting in the basement and along the areas under cabinets help to circulate the air and by design i believe to maintain temps above freezing to keep pipes, tanks and fittings from freezing. during warranty work, i was able to view the internal are of the underbelly, insulation is also part of the structure in that area to keep cold out. I agree with keeping things warm, i would caution about the drop light though as they put our a bit of heat, could be cause for a hot spot in a specific area and may have the potential for a fire! Just my take. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we stayed up north, Arizona along the rim and encountered about 19* overnight. never had an issue. the venting in the basement and along the areas under cabinets help to circulate the air and by design i believe to maintain temps above freezing to keep pipes, tanks and fittings from freezing. during warranty work, i was able to view the internal are of the underbelly, insulation is also part of the structure in that area to keep cold out. I agree with keeping things warm, I would caution about the drop light though as they put our a bit of heat, could be cause for a hot spot in a specific area and may have the potential for a fire! there is already a light in that compartment, why not try it for added heat? Just my take. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !