Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Bumper Bike Rack

The only thing I do not like about my Solitude 377MB is the lack of an integrated hitch on the bumper. I was very disappointed to see this trailer did not have an integrated hitch. I would think GDRV would make this standard for 5er's at this price point. Other than the hitch the trailer is perfect for my family. I am looking into how I can carry our bikes (2 adult and 2 kids) this summer and I have come across Mount-n-Lock. They have some very nice accessories for the rear bumper of a trailer. One item in particular is of interest for me, the 4SQUARE SafetyStruts. I understand the installation of these would void my frame warranty and may not be worth the risk. Would the warranty still cover frame issues not caused by the addition of this modification? For example, issues which might arise at the front of the trailer near the hitch assembly.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Are there any options which would not void the warranty and allow me to mount a bike carrier? Any other thoughts for carrying the four bikes?

Thanks,
    Ed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only carry two bike on my 369RL. I use something like this product http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...al-hitch/64871 just a little bit heaver duty! This biggest issue you may run into is the weight capacity for you rear bumber. I don't remember off the top of my head what GD says is the max, but it isn't a lot. Four bikes and the rack may exceed their recommendations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails With Bikes 2.jpg  
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD says 100lb max and they only recommend the Swagmann. I can't remember the model but I am sure it is in the searchable threads from a couple of years ago.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I know it would have been nice to have the hitch from the factory, ours did, but that's water under the bridge now. Just go to a good welding shop and have a hitch fabbed up to fit. There is no great mystery to having a hitch added. I know there are lot's of folks with racks mounted to their factory "bumpers" but I wouldn't mess with those myself. Read "been there and done that"! Fail for me.

Yeah, it will cost a few hundred bucks but, again, you need to play with the cards you're dealt. Do it right and you'll be glad in the long run.

What are the odds of having a frame failure during the warranty period? Very, very slim I suspect. Also, they (Lippert) may try to claim you voided the warranty but in reality, unless the failure can be directly contributed to the work you had done, they can't, period.

BTW, the 4SQUARE SafetyStruts look like you still need to weld some material to the back of the bumper tube.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2014 did not have a hitch but had a bumper. I put three bikes on the bumper, went on a 700 mile trip, came home and the bumper was hanging by a thread. All the welds from the frame brackets to the bumper had broke. I'm in the process of doing what Poppy suggested. I have pulled the bumper off the rig and will go with a welded up hitch.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem fixed. I bought a 2" receiver (12in long) and called a mobile welding shop. They installed the receiver inside (trough) the existing bumper and reinforced the receiver and bumper attachment points with gussets.

They said they do about 6 of these mods per year. They remarked to me how well the bumper and frame were built. They said they had not seen a unit built this well.

I have a sewer hose tube for my main hose and only use the bumper for spare hose sections. I can get one section of spare hose in each side of the the now divided bumper.

Happy camping!
    Ed

2016 Solitude 377MB
    2012 Ford F-350 DRW
    Reese Elite 18k

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures Ed. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Kevin