Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mega Cab/Reflection 303/B&W Companion compatibility

I currently have a chevy/pullrite tow outfit and am considering the RAM 2500 MegaCab as a new tow vehicle with a B&W Turnover ball/Companion hitch. I have talked to B&W and they say there should be no problem. They do not have a Companion slider for that combo as they say the hitch is already 8" back on the Mega ( I suess due to the longer wheelbase over the Crew.) I am hoping that someone on here has that combo and can give me an idea of how it works for them. I have been less than satisfied with the pullrite and am not interested in other hitchs at this time. Anyone on here with that combo. Thanks,

btw, I talked to Grand Design customer service and they wouldn't tell me anything.
    Floyd - Lake Tenkiller, OK (and occasionally Okla City)
    2014 Reflection 303RLS #9
    2020 Transend Xplor 221RB
    2016 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/HDPP and MaxTow

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floyd,
    I have a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab and ran into turning radius issues for my hitch setup. All Mega Cabs have the same bed dimensions regardless of 2500/3500/SRW/DRW. If you go with a fixed hitch placement (once it is all setup) and a Mega Cab you will potentially run into problems either towing with the pin weight behind the axle or with limited turning radius (cab/trailer contact). Is your Pullrite a slider? If it is, why don't you keep using it? I went with the Demco Hijacker Autoslide as it was the only one available for my trailer's GVWR (2016 Momentum 385TH). For what it's worth, this is my second Mega Cab and I have loved them both! I had a 2500 but needed to upgrade to a DRW 3500 for towing capacity.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LBnM View Post
    btw, I talked to Grand Design customer service and they wouldn't tell me anything.
    I hope you meant "couldn't" tell you anything (as in they don't know) vs. they "wouldn't" tell you anything (as in we don't share that information) cuz that would be out of character.

Good luck in your search.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify a little bit...
    I talked with customer service twice at B&W (which has an excellent quality and customer service reputation) about their Companion and their Companion Slider. Both times (different people) said they do not have a slider to fit the Mega as it would damage the tailgate. They said the slider will work with the Crew. Since they both have the same box the only thing I could see different is the wheelbase of the crew is 149" and the Mega is 160". I'm not smart enough to know how that could make a difference. Both reps said they have had many regular Companions installed on the Mega and they work well, although you won't get a 90 degree turn.

When I talked to Customer Service at Grand Design I was told they were "not allowed" to give any information concerning tow vehicle or hitchs because of liability problems if something went wrong. He (didn't get the name) said his "boss" told him he couldn't do it.

Another (internet) concern I have heard is that the bed sidewalls are higher than other trucks and can be too high to get adequate clearance and the truck being so tall that the Reflection with 15" wheels would tow nose high.

I like the Mega but am really concerned about compatibility of the equipment. My PullRite Superglide works okay but has to be constantly adjusted to keep the slop out of it so I have been less than satisfied.

Gdon320
    I have a 2500 mega cab with a Reese slider and it fits perfectly. While I did not order the 5th wheel prep package for the truck the pre- threaded holes in the frame of the truck aligned perfectly with the slider rail kit. The Reese hitch allows for the adjustment of the truck so the trailer pulls level, which it does. Plenty of clearance from the truck and cab. I have only needed to use the slide for difficult manuevering ( 90 deg backing etc.). The mega cab is amazing and will be what I get from now on.

Gordon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I almost did it but instead went back to my favorite all time truck. EcoBoost with HD packages (had to order it.) Thanks for the comments - the Mega looks great but I know the F150 and like it. Many thanks to F150 enthusiasts on this forum.

Mod, You can close this thread.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LBnM View Post
    Well, I almost did it but instead went back to my favorite all time truck. EcoBoost with HD packages (had to order it.)
    I can relate to that .

Adding in the second last post from Gordon . . . the Reese slider fits nicely in an F150 with custom brackets on the outside of the frame rails to make installation easy.

Robs
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

bob1340
    I spoke with the GD west coast sales rep. He said the 303 can be used on a 6'4" bed truck with no slider due to the front cap and the trailer being 96" wide. He said my Mega cab should be able to do a 80 degree turn. I am a shopper and researcher so don't have a 5'er yet. I like the 303 but the wife is stuck on the 337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Everest a few years ago that had the bedroom very similar to the 337. If you are one that needs a washer and dryer it's a good floor plan. I chose the 303 because I didn't need that and found it to be a pain to winterize the washer connection. Additionally, the extra little bit of length makes it difficult to park in some of the places I prefer. Many of the older National Parks and Corps sites will barely allow my 303 to fit in (a few won't.) We have one of the first 303s built and really still enjoy the floor plan two years later. I had a GD rep tell me at the time I bought it that I for sure needed a slider and they recommended the SuperGlide. I bought the SuperGlide at the time and it performed as advertised. I actually liked it less than a couple of manual sliders I had used. A lot of people really like them. Later I had a GD rep tell me I could get 80-85 degrees with my 6 1/2' bed but I really doubt it would do over about 70 degrees. I sold mine and ordered a manual slider.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

bob1340
    I will say the 337 bedroom is a lot easier to maneuver around in than the 303 being I am 6'6". I care less about a washing machine in my rig or winterizing (whatever that means) but I do like the added space it provides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast