User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing a flat bed on a dually diesel to tow with (c and c truck)

I have a Chevy crew cab deisel drw that I will be putting a flat bed on. My question is if I will be able to use my previous hitch that was on my Chevy 2500, with this new bed. I now have a curt slider 20k. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated before I purchase a flat bed. Also are there any height/length changes that I should be aware of when towing the rv.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure that the over hang on the back is not too much thereby hitting the RV when turning. (Or could have mitered corners)
    The hitch may be able to be used. Just depends on the difference in the floor height of the flat bed verses the previous truck bed and weather or not the hitch will adjust for any difference.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quick response. We were thinking along those lines as well. When we can get to a dealer we will do some more measuring. It is our first dually. We had a 2500hd srw with our old rv but had to have more truck for the new one.
    Brenda and Bob

2016 Chevy 3500 Crew Cab CC Diesel Drw
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350m
    2002 Harley Davidson
    2012 Can Am Spyder Rtl

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed ttrucks from a F 350 long bed 4x4 to a Ram 5500 cab/ chassis, and my hitch( 25k Huskey if I remember right) I used in the Ford would not work due to not being able to adjust low enough. The flat bed sits on 4 inch beams above the frame, causing the problem, maybe depending on what flat bed you get you might not have that problem. I got the CM bed. And mine has the corners 45'd
    Robert & Kat
    2 teenagers
    2 Dogs
    Arkansas
    2017 Ram 3500 CCLB
    2015 385 Momentum
    Retired Military,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm hoping to find out before purchasing a bed. A new hitch may be the answer.
    Brenda and Bob

2002 Harley Davidson
    2012 Can Am Spyder Rtl

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked into a C&C before we purchased our new truck. They had a sweet one with 300 miles on it that the guy who ordered it couldn't get a bed with the swing room he needed so he went a different route. They were selling it cheap!

Couple of things we noticed while doing research - several makers of beds and most offer some sort of "RV" bed. After chatting with peeps that had them that dang old adage " You get what you pay for" still rings true. Most that bought less expensive beds had issues with fitment, leaks in toolboxes, rust or weld problems. All of them had to go to either a flatbed 5th wheel setup or an Anderson Ultimate style hitch as a normal pickup bed hitch was too tall for the flatbed.

I really liked the B&W RV bed and heard good reviews from folks that had them. They were 6 weeks out after ordering it and the cost was around $11k with the bed color matched to the truck. In the end, we chose not to go that route as the wait time killed the deal.

Good luck!
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did decide to go with a cm aluminum bed with the ball hitch. So we have been looking at the Reese goose box. If that doesn't work we will look at the b and w companion hitch. You are right, this has been a rough route. The bed will take 4-6 weeks. I think it will be ok in the end. Thank you everyone for your help.
    Brenda and Bob

2002 Harley Davidson
    2012 Can Am Spyder Rtl