Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Time Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Time Hitch

I am as green as they git. Thank you all for your replies and advise.

We are full timers and have been since Nov 15'. We just got our tow vehicle a couple weeks ago and now I'm ready for a proper hitch and I've gotten several opinions regarding what's best. As a Full Timer and once we hit the road we'll most likely be moving every 13-14 weeks. The gent who did our first pull HIGHLY recommended B&W 18k. He also pulls for a living. To me that is worth writing down on account that it works daily. Safety First, I just want the right hitch. Anywho, details and questions below.

Tow Vehicle: 2016 Ram Truck 3500 6.7 liter Cummins. 5th wheel prepared by Ram
    Trailer: 2015 Grand Design 357BHS

Is the B&W 18k all people say?

I can't seem to be able to confirm but because it was the 5th wheel prep was done by dodge, I've been told that I need a specific B&W hitch for proper fitment.. is this true?

Has anyone used the Anderson? They pushed them pretty hard at the RV dealership.. So much so, it seemed disingenuous.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson hitch but I've only pulled my new trailer a handful of times so far. What appealed to me was that it was light enough to easily remove so that I have the full use of the bed of my truck, and that it was less likely to bind on uneven surfaces. That being said, what I have since discovered is that backing the truck up to match the ball with the kingpin block's hole is quite a challenge - particularly when doing it without any outside help. Others on this forum drew my attention to this hitch http://www.pullrite.com/products/isr...-superlite-20k which is rated at 20,000 lbs, flips the ball to the kingpin side, and adds a funnel to the hitch which would appear to make it a lot easier to hitch up. If I were buying I'd lean towards that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andersen aluminum here. It is a very stout product for its 37lbs. I like that I can see the ball in hitch qhen connecting. Lots of GD folks are running Andersens. One with over 20,000 miles of towing with it.

Cent frum my sell phone so pleeze excuse my spelling and grahmar.
    Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W makes a Companion hitch that fits into the RAM puck system.

Is your truck a longbed or shortbed?

If it is a shortbed, you may want to look into a sliding hitch, to clear the trailer and cab in tight turns.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complete list of everything that goes into the Ram 5th Wheel Prep: http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

My recommendation: B&W RVK3600 rated for 25K http://www.ramgunner.com/rvk3600.html
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Hensley BD3 air hitch. It's not cheap but it's supposed to eliminate most of the shock transmitted from the tow vehicle to the 5th wheel (and visa-versa). Should provide a very smooth ride. I'll find out this weekend when I use it for the first time.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    B&W makes a Companion hitch that fits into the RAM puck system.

Is your truck a longbed or shortbed?

If it is a shortbed, you may want to look into a sliding hitch, to clear the trailer and cab in tight turns.
    It's a shortbed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWJewellTN View Post
    I have the Anderson hitch but I've only pulled my new trailer a handful of times so far. What appealed to me was that it was light enough to easily remove so that I have the full use of the bed of my truck, and that it was less likely to bind on uneven surfaces. That being said, what I have since discovered is that backing the truck up to match the ball with the kingpin block's hole is quite a challenge - particularly when doing it without any outside help. Others on this forum drew my attention to this hitch http://www.pullrite.com/products/isr...-superlite-20k which is rated at 20,000 lbs, flips the ball to the kingpin side, and adds a funnel to the hitch which would appear to make it a lot easier to hitch up. If I were buying I'd lean towards that.
    Thank you, I'll check out your link and add this hitch to my research list.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    Complete list of everything that goes into the Ram 5th Wheel Prep: http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

My recommendation: B&W RVK3600 rated for 25K http://www.ramgunner.com/rvk3600.html
    Thank you. I will check your links, I really am leaning towards B&W at the moment; good or bad, mostly based on the recommendation of a daily user of the product. Research continues.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I went with the Hensley BD3 air hitch. It's not cheap but it's supposed to eliminate most of the shock transmitted from the tow vehicle to the 5th wheel (and visa-versa). Should provide a very smooth ride. I'll find out this weekend when I use it for the first time.
    Oh. I look forward to hearing of your experience. Thank you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast