Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite TV

Anyone using Dish or DirectTV for your residential and RV service? We used to have Dish Pay-As-You-Go service but sold the motorhome, which had the satellite antenna mounted on top. We currently use Comcast for home TV and Internet but I am researching alternatives to cut costs and use one provider for both home and RV. Dish said they have an HD box that can be used for both. I'm sure DirectTV probably does too but haven't contacted them yet. Any input from others using a satellite company for both home and RV would sure be appreciated. Thanks!
    Smitty and Diana
    2016 Reflection 303RLS #4486
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
    2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/Cummins 6.7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We switched from DirecTV to DISH when we decided to get satellite for our RV. I like it good enough. It's very comparable and cheaper for home. The only thing I don't like about the RV setup is the receiver sucks. I added a hard drive for recording but it is so "old technology" that we can't watch one channel and record another. I'd really like to hear more about the DISH HD box that can go between home and RV because when we got our system last summer, they said that was not possible. Maybe that's only if you have a roof mounted satellite dish. The receiver we have is needed to direct the satellite.

I specifically did not want that which is another reason I had to switch from DirecTV to DISH. There are no portable or "carry out" dishes that get HD programming for DirecTV and that was a must for me.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started looking at the features of each for on the road, and we were going to go with Dish. Then my wife ended up with an un-planned c-section and we cut out pay tv.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use dish tailgater for rv and have dish at home, it's only $7 per month to have it in rv and works great, I set tailgater on roof and it sets up in minutes, since I'm already using dish I get same programming at home as ni do in rv

2006 cummins 5.9 quad cab longed srw sway bar headstuds 100hp injectors edge juice twin turbo full billet transmission Bd exhaust brake anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch, 2016 Momentum 350m!!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two years ago, we were using Comcast for our internet and television. When we retired and bought the 337, we dropped Comcast for our television programming, but kept them just for the internet. There really isn't high speed internet available for us at home other than Comcast. For television, we had dish installed at home. We really like it. For the RV, we purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 dish, and a VIP211Z receiver. They work really well with our set up. The dish is portable so we can move it around to get a clear signal away from trees, buildings, etc. Another thing we like about this set up is that it's automatic. We just tell the receiver what state we're in and in about 5-10 minutes it's zero'd in on the satellite.

Overall, our Dish bill is quite a bit less than our Comcast bill was.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a wine gard X2 carryout with direct tv. When on the road, I bring my receivers from home. Works great except no HD. It auto finds satellites. Just set outside and plug it in. Use satellite AR app to verify clear sight to satellites. Call direct tech support to tell them my service location so I get local channels. Works flawlessy. No extra charge.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DirecTV does have a dish that you can take with you wherever you go you just take one of your boxes out of your house and take it with you when you get to where you're going you call DirecTV let them know what the zip code is and the the number on your box .and your all set . PS we had to buy a tripod for the dish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bry1956 View Post
    DirecTV does have a dish that you can take with you wherever you go you just take one of your boxes out of your house and take it with you when you get to where you're going you call DirecTV let them know what the zip code is and the the number on your box .and your all set . PS we had to buy a tripod for the dish

Yes they do but it doesn't receive HD programming. Only a roof mount will.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to use an HD box to get HD along with that I'm capable of receiving HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to use a Satellite dish that can receive HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast