Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older Trucks, Break Downs and Choices

I have a couple of questions I would like to throw out there. I am pulling my Solitude with a 2007 truck. I have 100% confidence in the cummins but not so sure about what its wrapped in. I agree all the diesels out there today will last longer than the trucks their in. Doesnt matter the brand, we will all have issues with what our diesels are wrapped in when they age. So the question isn't about whats the better brand, its about what you do when something fails, which it will eventually will. Proper maintenance aside what are your thoughts?
    • Do you have extended warranties on your truck?
    • How do you decide where to have it repaired when you are in the middle of nowhere, dealer, extended warranty, tow truck drivers advice?
    • Are there other options I have not mentioned?

We have been extremely lucky with our travels. We have never had anything happen that I wasn't able to handle myself. I am not knocking on wood, I am banging on it. I probably just opened the broken truck bad mojo jar!

At some point when the repairs are greater than the new truck payments then its over. So far nothing but oil changes and maintenance items you would expect with 120,000 miles. I am not close to a new truck payment but want to go into towing with an older truck with eyes wide open?
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have answers for your specific questions however it is my plan for my 2007 truck to be the last one I own. I cannot see any catastrophic failures, other than an accident, that I would not choose to repair rather than have another car payment.

Like you, I'm around 120,000 miles and only drive it now for towing our 5th wheel. I used it for years to drive 70 miles a day to work. That ended 4 years ago. So I'm either confident or stupid believing that I will not have to purchase another truck in my lifetime .... especially since I also know that this will be our last RV. When we are done traveling, we will sell both and be done.

I assume I won't get through the rest of my life with the same primary car but the rest of my toys are the last of my toys

Oh, I guess on second thought I could answer some of the specific questions:

Repairs most likely would depend on their nature but I am open to GM service centers or private repair shops if I have some recommendations.
    I do not have any kind of extended service plan on the truck. I do most of my own routine maintenance, oil changes, fuel filters, brakes, etc.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats was the first few years of my trucks life also. 100 miles a day, round trip, all highway to work. I now only use it to tow but I do drive it every couple of weeks just because sitting isn't good for it either. Enough to fully warm it up and make sure its running as it should.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2005 with 124k. My plan is to keep on pressing with it until repairs cost more than the value of the vehicle. I do all my own routine maintenance. I also have a reputable diesel shop nearby in case big ticket items need repair. Like Paul, mine is a dedicated tow rig that sits in the garage when not in pulling the 337 or anything else for that matter.

Cent frum my sell phone so pleeze excuse my spelling and grahmar.
    Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a 1963 Ford for 10 years. It had 326,000 miles on it when I sold her. Still running.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

fredandfred
    I was hoping to not spend the same amount of money on a truck as the camper I'm pulling. I am hoping to get by with an older truck and not spend a fortune on one. If that's the case I should've spent money on a motorhome. Just sayin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some pretty good buys on low mile, used diesel trucks
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, if I had a low mile '07 Cummins I would keep it rolling until the engine goes. Fix what's needed when it's needed and be as preemptive as possible so it doesn't leave you stranded. Might take a couple (or more) trannies/clutches along the way but the engine will last for a long while.
    If you live in an area where it is legal then cleaning up the exhaust system and removing the extra unnecessary junk will make that engine last even longer. I wouldn't bump to big power though but a nice mild boost helps tow and improves mileage by a nice bit.

I guess if the body falls off then it would also be time to trade up... I know a couple peeps that just couldn't take the shakes and squeaks anymore when the truck hit the 350k-400k mark.
    Chris & Honey & Mugsy
    2015 380TH -- Vin 573FM4221F1103069
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which transmission do you have? I too would keep driving it until I thought it was going to fall apart at any time.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing my Reflection with a 2003 Cummins with 185,000k on it. Doing fine. Used mainly for towing and garage kept. Don't plan on replacing it any time soon. Do not have any kind of extended warranty, just keep up the maintenance.

If I have trouble on the road, which I have had only once and it did not strand me, I asked in the campground where I was staying and they recommended a place for repairs, or I have Good Sam ERS and you can call them for a place for repairs.

Denny O
    Mississippi
    2014 Reflection 303 RLS
    Carriere, MS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast